Quick check on sheds (planning, BR)

SI2006 says... "p8 e) Conservatories and attached garages are not special locations. Work in them is therefore NOT notifiable UNLESS it involves the installation of a NEW circuit or the extension of a circuit in a kitchen or special location or associated with a special location." "p8 f) Detached garages and sheds are NOT special locations. Work within them is notifiable ONLY if it involves NEW OUTDOOR wiring".

Reply to
js.b1

Don't you love the way everything contradicts itself!

Reply to
Tim Watts

SI2006 says you can, so you can.

Interestingly p9 has a reference to "modular armoured" explicitly permitting those DIY-store systems, wonder which vested commercial interest wrote that part.

Reply to
js.b1

Or in circumstances such as this:

I want to do it, says I can!

Reply to
John Rumm

...but I have another piece of paper which says you can't.....

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Best to ignore the whole lot...

However, it IMHO is better to know what you're ignoring. eg if putting in an extra cuiting in the garden causes a problem at selling time, I would offer to disconnect the offending circuit and return the system to its last regularised state. I bet I would get a letter back from the buyers saying "er, don't disconnect anything, we're not that bothered after all...".

Reply to
Tim Watts

^^^^ circuit

Reply to
Tim Watts

I think I was suggesting one ignores it and does whatever one wants. Based on the grounds that if you to it correctly and to a good standard, then there is sod all to worry about. (assuming this is after any BC involvement is over and done with). Its your house, and a daft bit of legislation that deserves all the contempt you can give it IMHO.

Reply to
John Rumm

LABC can only require work be brought up to BS7671 or equivalent named standard - that latter point prevents any gold plating beyond BS7671 to try to build fake cases.

LABC can try a court case for failure to notify, but in most instances since works are remedial for previously contracted work this could be a PR disaster when receipts are "cash", without any testing or certificates, with shoddy work abound on old build, kitchens to new build. There is a lot of bum-wiping of old work and people are ending up paying twice, through the nose, for someone else's learning curve in a shoddy fee-first industry.

Part P essentially requires notification for 1) the addition of a NEW final circuit (but not replacement of an existing SWA across a garden) and 2) change of a CU (but not replacement of an enclosure be it CU or otherwise, or fuse or RCBO or RCD if failed or damaged).

The best comment ever is that Part P should 1) apply to "paid work only" as Gas Safe and 2) should require all work to BS7671 or a named standard (rather than "reasonable" which is a nice get out).

Reply to
js.b1

My tongue was very firmly in my cheek ;-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Only if they know about it.

More to the point, can you see any LABC department spending its limited legal budget on a case involving only an error in procedure? They would look fairly daft standing in court saying, "oh yes, it was a nicely done job actually - so we don't actually need anything rectified".

Even if you did get them investigating (in the limited time window allowed), you could say "Part P, no never heard of it. What do you want me to do now?". You could cough up for a regularisation cert at that point.

Indeed.

Reply to
John Rumm