Quick check on sheds (planning, BR)

Hi,

I've just read through the PlanningPortal stuff on outbuildings at

seems that if an outbuilding goes near the boundary (ie less than 1m away from the fence), behind the house (which isn't listed), then:

a) If it is less than 15m2 area[1] and overall height =15m2 and

Reply to
Tim Watts

> It seems that if an outbuilding goes near the boundary (ie less than 1m

What you have said broadly ties in with what I think I have been told :-)

From chatting to my BCO and a planning officer during the long and tortuous design of the Mother of All Sheds I was told that the 30 sq. m. was the INTERNAL floor area! I don't suppose they are too worried about thick walls.

So if you are less than 2m from a boundary you have to have a flat roof. If you want to go closer than 1m you also have to be 'constructed of substantially no combustible materials '

I haven't seen anything about '5m from the house'

As for the electrics - just hope the 'Love In' abolishes Part P.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Just run the Flash pictorial guide for the first time and was interested to note that the restrictions on balconies and verandas seems to apply to the main residence, not (as I thought) to the new outbuilding.

Still no roof terrace for sunbathing and spying on the neighbours as that would presumably fall foul of the 'single storey' rule, but it looks as though I could include a veranda on the front of my shed.

Now puzzled over the difference between a veranda and some decking with a pergola over the top :-)

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Only if constructed of substantially non-cumbustible material. That is to say a wooden shed can not sit 0m from the boundary. Yes, most do, although to be honest it is wise to leave at least 60cm if only to maintain the shed cladding & gutter overhang, water butt etc. If a neighbour does not mind now, a future one might deny access for maintenance.

Part P does not apply to contents of a shed/garage etc. Part P does apply to installation of a new circuit or extension of a new circuit across a garden, but does NOT apply to maintaining a pre- existing circuit crossing a garden. That is to say if you find FTE buried direct (!) you can legally replace with SWA installed to BS7671.

If you have a wooden shed "on the boundary" that predates BR it can be repaired without having to comply with current PD, you can even ask for a Certificate Of Lawfulness. However in practice if repairing a shed I would move it at least 60cm from a boundary re maintenance with the provision for it to move to 100cm if required. In some gardens the

100cm rule is ridiculous to implement because they are so narrow, it comes down to what your neighbours are like and also the council. Some neighbours do not like anything "near" a greenhouse for example even if they are behind the solar transit all day & all year round, mainly because they are ostensibly stupid.

Do watch the height limits, they DO tend to bite on that aspect. Gardens with a large body of sloping ground are subject to height measured on said sloping ground, not from the height at the house end. It gets more involved than that, but does not preclude you building a shed/garage.

Reply to
js.b1

A veranda is attached to the house.

Decking and a pergola isn't.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I remember after first having read that some years ago, I realised I had built my workshop less than 1m from the boundary (next door to the neighbours shed - also less than 1m from the boundary). I paid carefull attention next time I took the dog for a walk to note the position of sheds around the locality. I don't think I spotted any that were *not* in violation of that rule!

I wonder of that creates a nice loop hole? "Yeh, some muppet had installed an external submain in T&E buried under the garden, so I replaced it with SWA", neglecting the mention the muppet in question was you the week before! (in fact, all you would need would be a photo of a short section of buried T&E)

Reply to
John Rumm

Hi,

Yes, I thought that: but looking at their wording (long, sorry):

"Building Regulations

If you want to put up small detached buildings such as a garden shed or summerhouse in your garden, building regulations will not normally apply if the floor area of the building is less than 15 square metres and contains NO sleeping accommodation.

If the floor area of the building is between 15 square metres and 30 square metres, you will not normally be required to apply for building regulations approval providing that the building contains NO sleeping accommodation and is either at least one metre from any boundary or it is constructed of substantially non-combustible materials."

The 2nd para makes reference to teh 1m rule but the 1st doesn't. Perhaps that's been relaxed due to teh fact they know everyone puts sheds up against the fence?

Yes, I totally agree. Couple of foot is sensible.

That's interesting. The circuit itself is on my current BNA for the house (I planned ahead!). So I could get my current BNA signed off just by installing the circuit to where the shed is going to be... Not that I'm that bothered, once the house is signed off anyway...

Yes, common sense usually rules... As it happens the ground falls low where I'm thinking of siting it, so I might make it fall a little more, dropping the shed roofline down further. You'd hardly notice it over a

6' fence that way.

Yes I shall. I would like to design this shed myself, so I can engineer a slighly shallower roof pitch in if needs be, even for a pitched roof.

Thanks for the comments :)

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Ditto :)

Being a workshop or maybe a smaller workshop and a seprate "clean lab" for computing/electronics, I'd like to get these right.

The random cheap garden toolstore I won't care about - worst case, I unscrew it and move it :)

Reminds me - must draft that letter to the local MP...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Could that be a "lost in translation" for the website?

Reply to
js.b1

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So you can't use it as a dog house when you have upset SWMBO?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Maybe. That's why I asked here. I'm always suspicious of "handy summaries" of complex laws...

Any idea where this stuff is defined in full? My planning dept aren't the sort who let people drop in and ask random questions so I'd be wasting my time with them...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Or get some peace :) Noooo - not the nuts, I meant the kids! Peace from the kids...

I'm tempted to stick a sink in one, for PCB work - damn sure that would be against the rules...

Reply to
Tim Watts

I must admit that water and drainage (plus a working loo) would be quite handy in the workshop - save having to trek in while in the middle of something (and a darn site easier than getting a cup of coffee to wander its way out!)

Reply to
John Rumm

(and a darn site easier than getting a cup of coffee to wander

You need intercom cables for when you are in the good books! eg "Hi fetch me a coffee please sweetheart" and SWMBO will come running down the garden with a freshly brewed pot of coffee.

Or maybe not

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It's OK - I'm training the kids :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

Perfectly reasonable to have a sink in such a building. Washing dogs, soaking plants, washing wellies etc. My barn has a toilet, cartering size sink (actually two, a single and a double in an annex), and oil fired central heating. No beds so nothing anyone can do about it!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I have a phone out there that is an extension on the PABX - so I can call direct!

and that is how it usually works out...

Reply to
John Rumm

>> It seems that if an outbuilding goes near the boundary (ie less than 1m

Interesting... I've just come across this:

"However any building that has external walls made of combustible material and exceeds 15 sqm internal floor area must be sited with a minimum distance of 1000 mm from any third party boundary."

That does seem to concur that buildings

Reply to
Tim Watts

Possibly. However amusing they say 1000mm, so not 999.4mm... sigh.

Do post back if you find concrete (or wooden) confirmation :-) Either that or everyone stick them on wheels with a large topiary single extended finger in the front garden.

Reply to
js.b1

Think I've got it:

from Schedule 2:

" SCHEDULE 2 Regulation 9 Exempt buildings and work

CLASS 6 Small detached buildings

  1. A detached single storey building, having a floor area which does not exceed 30m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation and is a building? (a) no point of which is less than one metre from the boundary of its curtilage; or (b) which is constructed substantially of non-combustible material.

  1. A detached building designed and intended to shelter people from the effects of nuclear, chemical or conventional weapons, and not used for any other purpose, if? (a) its floor area does not exceed 30m2; and (b) the excavation for the building is no closer to any exposed part of another building or structure than a distance equal to the depth of the excavation plus one metre.

  2. A detached building, having a floor area which does not exceed 15m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation. "

Para 1 is what everyone is agreed on.

Para 3 confirms my belief that the 1m rule is not applicable for smaller buildings...

I've checked the amendments as best I ca and this does not seem to change...

However the one bit they did change was that Part P *is* applicable to greenhouses and Class 6 and Class 7 buildings :(

See here:

> b) If the area is >=15m2 and to avoild PP and BR it must be:

Reply to
Tim Watts