Questions about new digital micrometer

I have just bought myself a new digital micrometer, it's this one here from pvrdirect:-

'm not sure if it's supposed to have instructions with it, but it doesn't, and the link to instructions from the above web page is broken.

The last time I used a micrometer was at school (a *very* long time ago!). I know the basics and have made the measurements I bought it for OK but there are a couple of things I can't work out.

What's the little lever above and left of the digital read out for? Ah, I think I've worked it out, it clamps the reading so one can measure something inaccessible, clamp the reading and then withdraw the micrometer to actually see the reading.

I can't quite work out the action of the ratchet knob. It's OK for getting correct/reasonable pressure on the measured object, rotate with the knob on the end and just wind until it clicks. However I think it usually does something for mechanical zeroing as well but all I can make it do is the ratcet action and, if I hold the main knurled ring and unscrew the end one it just unscrews, it doesn't seem to allow mechanical zeroing.

There is a strange little 'hooky spanner' sort of tool comes with the micrometer. It latches into holes on the large round bit and the small round bit (just inside the knurling). Presumably it allows on to rotate/unscrew these but why would one want to? Is *this* for machanical zeroing?

Reply to
tinnews

Yes.

Pretty normal on a micrometer.

Why would one need it? Just press the '0' button...

Dismantle for cleaning?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Change the batteries?

Reply to
www.GymRatZ.co.uk

In message , snipped-for-privacy@isbd.co.uk writes

Play wirth it for another 30 seconds and you'll prolly work the rest out as well

If you can't, buy a steel rule instead

Reply to
geoff

> I'm not sure if it's supposed to have instructions with it, but it

It also allows you to use the micrometer as a go or no go gauge - set the size you want, lock it and pass an object between the anvils.

With electronic micrometers, you normally just use the zero button. That also allows you to measure variations from a set size - zero with the anvils shut, open to the required size or to a sample piece, zero again and measure variations from that size.

It sounds like the adjusting tool, but I don't recall when I last needed to adjust the zero on a well looked after micrometer.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Well yes, I realise that's the way on a digital micrometer but it does still have 'ordinary' calibrations.

Could be I suppose.

Reply to
tinnews

No, there's a 'coin slot' screw for that which I'd already used to put the battery in.

Reply to
tinnews

That's a good point too, thanks.

OK, I'll just forget about the 'old fashioned' markings then.

OK, as someone else said I'll probably work things out for myself by playing with it but I thought I'd ask in case I'd missed something really obvious.

Thanks all.

Reply to
tinnews

"nightjar .me.uk>"

>>> I'm not sure if it's supposed to have instructions with it, but it

On my conventional M&W micrometers the hook fits in the sleeve which has the reference line - it is used to turn this sleeve to bring the reference line to match the zero on the barrel

Reply to
John

"nightjar .me.uk>"

>>> I'm not sure if it's supposed to have instructions with it, but it

Described here?

John

Is it just me or does that site look uncannily like the Axminster site at first glance.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

It's never struck me that way but you could be right, maybe they're using some similar softwre.

I use PVR Direct occasionally, they are quite good on price for fairly 'minority' types of things I find.

Reply to
tinnews