Question: Registry Edit Programs

Will be, I know. But not actually yet. Hence my statement.

Reply to
Bob Eager

No, because it isn't.

You had exactly the same opportunity to invest as I did. Presumably you chose not to. It's not so much an achievement on my part, but a missed opportunity if you didn't. There have been very very few, tech IPOs in recent years so this one was worth backing almost as a matter of principle. So it paid off. I'm not going to feel guilty about that.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I have to confess to using 'ed' on the Mac occasionally. No - not even 'vi'.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Edward W. Thompson wrote: ....

Example: after running a well rated registry cleaner on one of my computers Active-Sync didn't work anymore and reinstalling it didn't help.

Reply to
OldBill

Excellent.

I think that that depends much more on the available software and drivers. For scanner etc. I have an HP 3302 MFD - convenient because it has WLAN. The Mac software for it works really well. I'd agree that scanners are not often well supported, but that's true of Windows as well. Had you thought about trying SANE?

When JP was first released, I went to see it in the cinema. This was an event because I don't like cinema normally. At any rate, at that fateful line of the the little girl saying "I know this. It's a Unix system"; half of the audience groaned. I could tell that this was a high tech area. It probably happened in Cambridge as well.

Ah. No you need the Intel one. The MacBook is good value or the iMac for a neat package.

Because when it breaks, it takes hours to reinstall and fix it up. With a VM environment, it's minutes.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You definitely need a MacBook.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Sort of like banging your head on a brick wall. Nice when you stop.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I still use it sometimes too. But the error messages have improved from the original two.

Reply to
Bob Eager

In message , OldBill wrote

Everyone has problems with Active Sync :( On one of the PDA forums I used to read a question about a non-working Active Sync appeared regularly. No reliable solution to the problem was ever given.

Reply to
Alan

But how did we get from registry editing to your portfolio? Is there no thread you won't hijack to massage your ego?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Thing is, despite its numerous shortcomings, the various versions of win32 get the job done quicker than linux et al. And by 'the job' I mean multipurpose desktop machines, not single task machines, for which other OSes are surely superior.

So then its just a q of which set of shortcomings do you like best,

95, 98, 98se, me, 2k, xp, or the abominable vista.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

There's no hijacking at all. You need to follow the logic.

- Registry editing is only done because the Windows-shit is fundamentally broken. It isn't an operating system but a piece of amorphous junk on crutches. These registry editing products wouldn't be needed if the stupid PoS actually worked properly. At best they are like sticking plaster on an amputation. They will work for a bit, but sooner rather than later, Windows will break to the degree that it isn't worth repair. Actually it wasn't anyway, but let's leave that to the side.

- One could go for Linux, which does, in general, provide a good and stable environment and some reasonable free applications. However, there are difficulties with some distributions in supporting some hardware platforms.

- While I am not an advocate of closed systems, the Mac environment does provide known good hardware and a Unix operating system. Essentially it does what it says on the tin, unlike the Redmond Rubbish. Therefore it's a natural solution to avoid the need to have registry editors, repair programs and all the rest of the crutches. A good alternative to a registry editor, therefore.

- With it so far?

- So the Mac environment gives a much better solution, but inevitably there are a few Wndows apps to run. Enter virtualisation. For the Mac there are two. Until recently, Parallels was the only game in town. Not bad but a few limitations.

- VMWare for the Mac is a new entrant, but it has been around for other platforms for years. It performs better than Parallels. It very neatly gets around the need for registry editors and other repair stuff. When the Windows virtual machine breaks, it can be dumped and replaced in under two minutes. Back up and running. That's a lot more appealing than messing about with registry edtors and fix utilities which always eventually fail.

- Given all of the above, and having bought a copy of VMWare, I discover that the stock is going on the market. This is a more interesting investment opportunity than Premium Bonds or a NatWest money pig., so I buy some.

- It was sold days later at a nice profit so there's no portfolio. This is not a hold stock.

- So the net result is a proper operating environment, ability to run Billyshit in a controlled and painless way and making some money into the bargain. There's no ego in any of that, just a sound set of logical decisions that have worked out rather well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Which job?

I find OS/X pretty powerful for achieving a bunch of stuff quickly and easily. Even the basic stuff like Spotlight make a huge difference.

Out of these, I could just about bring myselfto install XP Pro in a VM. The rest need several condoms.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Regrettably, you are completely wrong. You have, like many others making the same point, confused "good enough" and ubiquity with competence and intuitiveness.

Windows is a festering heap of cack. Microsoft is a convicted monopolist. Bill Gates is a pompous, lying git.

Reply to
Huge

It's just another of your Mac rants. Logic doesn't come into it.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

And you are another raving nutter. Who gives a toss what you think about Microsoft?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Have you ever used one?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Yes, I'm surrounded by Mac users. It's just a machine that happens to be standard in some industries, that's all. It's not a bloody religion.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Is it that you're feeling oppressed?

To some extent that's true, but is penetrating others very effectively, especially with the Intel platform.

Oh it is... :-) The good thing is that it's easy to be a believer. You can tread the Narrow Way, in the full knowledge that it will lead to Paradise.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Let's hope Paradise has sufficient facilities for you

Reply to
Stuart Noble