Question: Fixing electrics or other services when wall covered in Celotex or Kingspan

Hi,

Say I cover a wall with 5cm / 2inch thick Celotex/Kingspan. Are there any issues about running electrics or water pipes?

I am thinking that water will be easy because there is no chasing out the wall to be done - just leave a space between sheets of the insulation and clip the pipes to the wall.

It's the fixing of power socket I need to check. Would there be sufficiently deep metal boxes that I could screw directly into the brickwork/mortar, but still end up flush with the topcoat of plaster on the wall or is there some other method of fixing or associated issues?

Thanks

Clive

Reply to
Clive

Might be hard to find them quite that deep (once you've added the thickness of the plasterboard, skim plaster and probably an airgap between bricks and celotex); but if so, then just pack the backboxes out to be flush with the front of the wall by screwing a timber plate of appropriate thickness to the wall first (before you fit the celotex).

David

Reply to
Lobster

Good idea.

Ta

Reply to
Clive

Or just use dry lining boxes that attach to the plasterboard.

red plastic lugs are adjustable to different thickness's & lock in place behind the board.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A001634=A0717930=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0= =A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A007850=A0597257=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0

I have just had to do this with both new and existing sockets where I have put on internal insulation on the walls (600 thick random Welsh stone rendered in and outside) For new ones I simply put in plasterboard ones as per the Medway Handyman's excellent suggestion For the existing ones, I was advised that there is an electrical regulation the limits the amount of space not metallic prior to the socket and that it was necessary either to get an extension or move the socket I did the latter and where needed crimped the wires to exend (but most were loose enough) Chris

Reply to
mail

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 06:48:46 -0800 (PST) someone who may be Clive wrote this:-

Probably.

That's the easy bit. You could always use some material to get the back of the box in the right place. Wood is typically used.

The main question is where the cables are run. Cables buried in insulation or with one side in contact with insulation must be derated.

Reply to
David Hansen

You know, I wonder how many millions of buildings there are in the UK where ceiling/roof insulation has been added since the wiring was installed, and where there hasn't been a moment's consideration given to this requirement.

I mean, has anyone ever heard of one of these outfits who come round and fit insulation professionally ever eyeballing the wiring and saying 'no sorry, I won't be able to install any insulation until you've had your house rewired ?

David

Reply to
Lobster

It's not normally an issue with lighting circuits, as the cable is so overrated anyway. For that 10kW shower fitted to an old

7kW shower circuit, it's a different matter though.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I doubt if the grant funded insulators would know the difference between a gas pipe and a shower cable. From what I've seen they poke their head through the hatch, put a roll of insulation up, and see how it rolls, over whatever is there usually.

AIUI altering an insulating layer is to become notifiable under BR. Is this in force yet? Are teh insulating cowboys self certifying.

Reply to
<me9