Question about converting CH pipework - 8mm to 10mm

Hi there

My CH system uses 8mm pipe - and all the rads use yorkshire valves - where both feed and return pipes go in at the same side of the rad. I want to fit TRVs - and maybe change all my rads, without ripping out all the pipework.

Can I:

1 Fit new rads 2 Use some sort of 8mm>10mm adapter on the pipework 3 The use standard 10mm TRVs

I am a complete novice, and in the process of planning what I'm going to do with the system.

Any help appreciated.

Kind regards

Simon

Simon Hawthorne

Yes, but you may not to be able to increase the size. If the boiler is a conventional 82degree flow, 70degree return, then over typical distances of a few metres from a main pipe or manifold, 8mm pipe will only support a flow able to deliver about 1500W. If it's a condensing boiler, you could have temperatures of 70 and 50 degrees, but the radiators are derated relative to their output at

82/70.

You can work out the situation by looking at manufacturer data sheets for the radiators and looking at the deratings to 89% and 60% for each scenario.

Yes you can. I used 15mm TRVs on the radiators and adaptors from

8mm female to a 15mm tail that go into theTRVs. This gives a neat solution.

For your situation, you could take one length of 8mm pipe behind the radiator to achieve a neat job.

Pipe benders (a hand tool) for 8mm tube are available very cheaply.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks for all this Andy. I was going to change the boiler - so had a few quotes (new condensing boiler, new rads & pipework, tank etc) - varied between £9k and £13k.

Just looking to sort out the rads for now - don't need any more power, but just want to control the power I have. Planning on concentrating on drafts and insulation for now (and I have lots of drafts and almost no loft insulation).

Regards

Si

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne