Question about 110v equipment

I guess I'm not sure of the facts on the following, perhaps someone could help me out?

I know you can get 110v equipment, which you run off one of those yellow cubes which converts 240v to 110v. I assume the yellow cube is a centre-tapped transformer.

However, what exactly are the rules on the use of 110v equipment? Does this apply to building sites only, or does it go wider than that?

Just wondering whether I should be thinking about acquiring the 110v equipment for my handyman business.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

From a safety point of view yes 110volt would be best used for all purposes,but currently it is only required for site work.the definition of site is another thing all together and that info would be best had from the HSE.Domestic premises are not sites under normal circumstances but may become so under certain construction type conditions.

Reply to
alex

Sir

I have decided that when I get get totally fed up of fixing computers, and leave my current job, its no more computers.

I am interested :-

1) Do you get a reasonable wage - without working an 80 hour week, and every weekend ? 2) Did it take long to build up the business.

Thanks Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

Thanks to the European types 240v is ok on building sites now with the appropriate trip switch.

trouble is all the sites / tradesmen have 110v equipment so 240v is never laid on :-( This could mean that you have to run your own extension cable 50 Metres from the site office

240v uses half the current of 110v so long extensions can run more tools and lights etc. Motors are less prone to burning out with half the current also.

only the top of the range pro tools come in 110v which you might not find cost effective if you don't use them often.

The yellow cubes are very heavy to carry round and get heavier with the higher KVA output.

One good way round the problem is to get some top quality cordless tools. They even do cordless mitre saws now. If you get cordless tools that all share a common battery then if things get busy you should have a few batteries from other tools to keep you going

David

Reply to
David

Does anyone have a pointer (hopefully web-based) to the relevant regulations for this ?

I understand that the definition of "site" is impossibly baroque.

Reply to
Andy Dingley