Queen Wasps (possibly OT)

Singularly they are relatively harmless to most of us, but in large quantities they can be dangerous.

I had the misfortune to move a golf buggy that had been parked on a nest, when I moved it they came out of the resulting hole and attacked me, assuming that I was attacking them. They went up inside my shirt and I ended up with about 12 stings on my back. I had some amazing dreams that night, cheapest trip in ages!! But not recommended :-)

I also had a nest under a shipping container, (my garden shed), initially they ignored my trips in and out of the shed and I ignored them, but one day they decided enough was enough and again I ended up with a few stings. That was the final straw as far as that nest was concerned, they didn't survive :-(

If they are well away from me they can carry on about their business, but I'm no longer happy to share my space with them.

I went into an attic and when I turned the light on found a nest built around it, they were a bit shocked to find their home illuminated from inside and buzzed their feelings very loudly. Have you ever seen someone exit through a loft hatch without using a ladder? Apparently it was quite impressive. They didn't live much longer after that either.

Reply to
Bill

In message , Grimly Curmudgeon writes

Bumble bees burning on Halogen uplighters smell just like roast chestnuts.

Reply to
Bill

You afraid of being harried?

Reply to
PeterC

Probably to cold. However, they are largely beneficial because they eat lots of garden pests so it is better to leave them alone.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

All my posts are factually correct. There are some here too dim to understand.

Reply to
harry

Always ignore fools.

Reply to
harry

They only attack overripe fruit that is too far gone to be much use. The balance is in their favour.

Reply to
harry

And children have to learn about dangers first hand. Featherbedding them turns out more little useless wimps.

Reply to
harry

No they don't. Another counterfactual post.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Ah poor little things. They will grow up mollycoddled and so unable to function in the real world. You have to explain to your son/daughter how their child came to be stung? That's weird. Shit happens. One has to get used to it. Better to learn sooner than later. I can see you brought them up to your strange standard. Of a non existent world where all is good, people are good and there is no evil etc etc. It's called Lala land.

Reply to
harry

Bit early I'd say. July seems to be their busy time around here.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

A few people (about 10%) do react badly to wasp and bee stings, and it can be fatal for about a third of that 10% unless treated quickly. But for the great majority, it's just a painful experience, accompanied by mild swelling that goes after a few hours.

A very effective treatment to desensitise people who are allergic to bee and wasp stings is the give them small but gradually increasing doses of sting venom, over a period of several weeks.

Do you take the same attitude to bees as you do to wasps, killing every one you see to (in your opinion) protect your grandchildren?

Reply to
Chris Hogg

My Grandfather's generation came from Worcestershire and hated Wasps and Starlings with equal fervour.

Damson harvest was purgatory for us youngsters.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

your wasps are different from ours. Ours eat apples on the tree before they are ready for picking.

Reply to
charles

you have to appreciate that harry lives in a completely different world to anyone else.

A legend in his own mind.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

They will only do that if a bird has already taken a peck out of them. Overipe plums by comparison they seem to be able to nibble on their own.

Reply to
Martin Brown

the issue is that they cant actually penetrate the skins. However if something else does that for them the wasps will eat the fruit away whether or not its ripe.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Was it, maybe, a hornet ? They look like big wasps.

David

Reply to
David

When replacing the loft insulation 10+ years ago, there were about 8 queens 'hibernating' in the old insulation.

There was also a number of old nests too, one that spanned 3 rafters.

David

Reply to
David

Possibly. Totally fooled by the IR of the charcoal, whatever it was.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon