Quarter of Homebases to close

But I'm not drunk or rambling you just don't understand simple things.

It's whether or not yuo own the land and even then you still have to abide by TPOs, even if you say yuo own the tree.

Obvuilsy it depends what you want to do with or to it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Then your keyboard is.

I don't understand you, that's true.

I do.

There aren't any.

I do.

So in what circumstances _can't_ I take a chainsaw to a tree on my land, given that there are no TPOs, individual or blanket, and I'm not in a conservation area or national park or similar?

Reply to
Adrian

I always thought they had a good range of adhesive vinyl floor tiles. not that I buy them that often.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Can't things get a bit awkward with DEFRA rules if you wish to do some work to trees in the Bird nesting season if the tree has a nest in it? I doubt every back garden can be observed by them but if like us the trees are part of the hedge dividing the garden from a farm cutting them down at the wrong time might be noticed.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Yeah. What with that and conservation areas, I retract my comment.

Reply to
Huge

Then that's OK then isn't it. My point was that if you consider yuorself compemnted at anyhting you really need to know what you are doing and the laws, rules and any regualtions surrounding what you are doing, otherwise your not considered compedent.

whisky-dave

Your point was quite clearly made (for a change) - you were explicit that I couldn't. You were wrong. Just man up and admit it.

Reply to
Adrian

I didn't see anything there that met the PP's query...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Man up and admit what exactly, you couldn't what ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Wrong, the law says you have to be 'competent' (see discussions here before)

Nope.

In this case, your are the one who needs to brush up on his knowledge

Reply to
Chris French

Where does the LAW say that. Have you actually read up on it I thought not.

What gas work can I do myself? The definition of gas 'work' is quite wide ranging but you can perform the tasks set out in the user's instructions, (provided by the appliance manufacturer) that are intended for the user to carry ou t. This would not be a breach of the law. The law allows you to replace or adjust any component or control that is designed to be operated, or replaced by the gas consumer e.g. a cooker tap control knob. However you should not do anything that involves d isturbing the gas carrying components (such as the gas supply pipe) or that could affect the combustion process (such as removing the combustion case of an appliance

- see Can I take the case off my gas appliance? below). Can I take the case off my gas appliance? It depends on whether the case is purely decorative or whether it is an integral part of the appliance. Decorative casing: These cases can usually be removed by the consumer e.g. can be lifted off or are hinged panels and do not need to be unscrewed. A decorative case can be removed safely by the consumer or anybody else remembering to follow any warning labels and making sure you have isolated any electrical parts. However, if you are in any doubt, always use a Gas Safe registered engineer. Integral casing : Many appliances have cases which form a seal aro und the gas carrying components e.g. burner, combustion chamber, etc as well as being decorative. If removing the case involves undoing a number of screws, this normally means it is a functional case and it should not be removed by the consumer or a person who is not Gas Safe registered.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Are we _really_ going through this again?

whisky-dave, you're wrong. Try looking at the law, not the interpretation of it from people who stand to gain from saying it's illegal to do stuff.

Reply to
Clive George

Then I need a superior being such as yourself to show me that law.

Can you tell me why you've not shown me that law ? If you show me a law that say I can work on gas myself then I believe you.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Since you ask:

The Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

Sorry Dave, Clive's correct and GasSafe are fudging the interpretation.

Quoting:

  1. (1) No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.

(3) Without prejudice to the generality of paragraphs (1) and (2) above and subject to paragraph (4) below, no employer shall allow any of his employees to carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or service pipework and no self-employed person shall carry out any such work, unless the employer or self-employed person, as the case may be, is a member of a class of persons approved for the time being by the Health and Safety Executive for the purposes of this paragraph.

---------

It's basically between those 2 paragraphs.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Quite.

Whisky-dave is doing well though, he is having this discussion in two different threads at the same time.

Reply to
Chris French

Do I have to use a Gas Safe registered engineer to complete gas work?

Anyone employed to work on gas appliances in domestic premises must be a Ga s Safe registered engineer link to external website and competent in that a rea of gas work. The gas engineer's competencies are clearly marked on the back of the engineer's Gas Safe Register ID card. If in any doubt you can r ing Gas Safe Register 0800 408 5500 or check their website link to external website to see if the engineer is registered.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Sigh.......

Yes, if someone is doing the work for reward, they have to be Gas Safe registered.

You can do your own work if you are 'competent', as has been pointed out to you a number of times now.

Reply to
Chris French

NO you can NOT.

you have to be 'competent' yes but also be gas safe. Even those that are ga s safe aren't allowed to work on instalations they are NOT 'competent'to wo rk on.

They got rid of the idea mthat if you work for nothiong you only have to be 'competent' years ago. The idea that if you didn;t pay anyponme to do your gas work then it's OK w as found to be a flawed idea, because people were getting the clueless in t hat said they were 'competent' tpo do the job because they weren;'t being p aid.

Which was a lie, they weren;t being paid in the normal sense of the word bu t perhaps you've heard of the phrase a 'drink in it for you' peolpe were do ing those jobs claiming to be 'competent' rather than qualified.

Afterall ypuo couild be quite 'competent' in gas in sopme countries where t he regulations aren't as stricted as in the UK, and they could be quite 'co mpetent' but ubnless thy've read the H&S of teh country they are working in then how can they be 'competent' ?

Reply to
whisky-dave

Did you not see this that I posted the other day:

(Re quoted)

[...]

Dave you are wrong. Perhaps if I post this enough time you might get to see it :)