Quarry tiles for hearth

x-no-archive: yes I need to replace old broken red (quarry?) tiles in hearth of open coal fire. They are rather thick: seven-eighths of an inch thick. Do I have to use some special tiles that are heat-resistant (to withstand the occasional hot coal that may fall from the fire) ? Or can I just use any old 'quary tiles'?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
White Rabbit

You can get any 1" thick red quarry tiles from most tile suppliers (Ruabon and the most common Welsh quarry tiles

and these will be more that sufficient for a heath and will withstand the temparature easily. The only thing to watch out for is that modern 1" thick quarrys are 8" x 8" whereas the older ones were 9" x 9"

Lee.

Reply to
Lee

That's reassuring, thanks. The tiles that need replacing are 6" x 6" - guessing at 1950 vintage.

Reply to
White Rabbit

Watch out for metric tile sizes when you're getting replacements. Some '6"' tiles I bought to repair some outside quarry tiling at my house were actually 150mm x 150mm (6 inches is 152mm). In my case I just used

4mm tile spaces when laying them instead of the 2mm used originally so that the new tiles would line up with the old pattern.

Asher.

Reply to
asher

Ah. So.

Quarry tiles are "fired". I hope that your hearth never ever gets that hot.

J.B.

Reply to
Jerry Built