Qualifications for Electrician?

LOL!

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

We do have such a rule, whether it's observed 100% is another matter.

The one I read the label from was, indeed, a two core flex.

Reply to
usenet

Come next April the market rate for electrical work will increase, so presumably you can pass this extra cost onto your customers. This extra cost will of course provide an incentive for cowboy electricians to undercut responsible tradesmen - making the scheme a farce.

James

Reply to
James

I'm actually trying to look at this another way presently. First off, I was (and still am) wholly negative. Then a few days ago I started wondering about whether it might create a new market that I could take advantage of.

So I signed up for the C&G2391 course. Assuming that worked out then I ought to be able to apply for NICEIC recognition. And once that's done then writing certificates is something I could get paid for.

And putting the cost up is good for me. But not for Joe Punter.

Andrew

Do you need a handyman service? Check out our web site at

Andrew McKay

It's not good for him if he already had a good electrician or was a competent DIY'er and so ends up paying more for no benefit.

But I have had personal recent experience of an 'electrician' who didn't have a clue what he was doing. From the Triton Showers website top installation problems: "We often see undersized cables coming in to our units, the most common is 2.5mm2. This is dangerous because the cables could overheat. The smallest size cable you can use on any shower is 6mm2 and there are times when it will need to be larger."

IMO the real problem is that the costs of complying with these changes will be out of all proportion to the benefits. It would make far more sense IMO to insist on electric and gas inspection reports being made available when a property is put up for sale which would catch the installations on which no work has been done since the 1950's (or before)

Reply to
Tony Bryer

Better not let anyone see me lighting the barbecue then ...

Reply to
Mike Faithfull

Crude, crude. The wonderful George Goble website, which has, unfortunately, been removed by his masters at Purdue university (since June)showed video clips of him lighting barbecues with a gallon or two of liquid oxygen. The number of US states that permitted him to do this was dropping however! Mad as a hatter and there aren't enough people like him in the world.

Reply to
Bob Mannix