Qualcast Suffolk Punch 35s - ignition spark problem

d;~}

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

All it had in it was what looked like a sealed unit, that was non adjustable. There were no points to clean or gaps to set etc. I just dried it all off, put it back together and it worked.

Reply to
paulbeddybedford

Yes, I'm sure that's probably true. The comments about the thyristor were just TNP and me having a bit of a joke with one another at the expense of some comments made earlier in the thread by another poster who questioned TNP's (over !) qualification to comment as he did, and my understanding of how thyristors work ... What you have there is a sealed ignition module, which carries out the switching function that would, a few years back, have been done by the points, and which may or may not have a thyristor in it, but certainly other components as well.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Take off the magneto flywheel (the nut loosens clockwise and not anti clock wise).A puller is advisable or leave the nut on such that the first few thr eads are recessed in the nut. Take a small hammer or better still a copper mallet and while pulling the magneto"flywheel" whack the nut at the centre and the "flywheel should jump free. Take off the nut and slide the "flywhee l off the tapered caranckshaft stud.Clean all parts with petrol and allow t o dry for several hours. Grease the cam and oil the pad which rubs against the crankshaft. Check the points gap ( 0.020") but first clean the points w ith water paper to remove high spots.Reassemble and with the spark plug rem oved, spin the "flywheel" while the HT line to the plug is about 1 mm from an earth point. The plug must be removed or the compression will make "spin ning" of the flywheel almost impossible. If there is a spark to earth then the ignition system is probably fine.Try starting your mower now once you h ave fuelled up and primed the carb with the tickler.

Regards

Ian Freemantle

Reply to
ian.freemantle

After 5 years I'm guessing the OP has sorted the problem. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Ihavethesameproblemwithmyatco14comodorewiththesuffolkengineIcametotheconclusiontheelectronicignitionhadfailedtheflywheelhasalefthandthreadiboughtanewstatorandfitteditstillnospark

Reply to
peter

1) The posting you are replying to is 8 years old. 2) Your space key is broken.
Reply to
Huge

LipSmackingThirstQuenchingAceTastingSuffolkPunch?

Reply to
Andy Burns

You've also got a problem with your space bar! and your eyes since you can't read dates!

Reply to
The Other John

Blimey, his spacebarhasstoppedworkingagain

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Reply to
grsdstv

Excellent helpful and timely response! And to think that some folk think that AOLers are dim. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Only 2009 this time, we are slowly getting newer posts. I don't have to look where this came from do I? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

OTOH it has probably dried out by now.

Reply to