Q: Dyson repair

I have a DC01 upright with a problem.

When I use the wand, the cyclone is created and there is excellent suction. But the minute I close it and use the turbo-brush, it just doesn't pick anything up and the dust doesn't move around inside the dyson clear cylinder at all. The turbo brush spins fine though.

I'm not used to fiddling with these. Is there anything obvious I should look at that might cause this? Thanks!

rfranklin

Reply to
Keith

There is a channel behind the brush where the fluff etc moves up into the machine. This will be blocked with fluff etc and needs cleaning out. If you remove the screws and take the bottom cover off (as if changing a belt) the brush can be removed for easy access. It happens occasionally with the DC01

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Thanks ever so much for the very quick reply. Will look into that!

Keith.

Reply to
Keith

That's OK. If you lose all suction, it's quite often one of the rubber flaps at the bottom rear of the upright bit. Large items (paper clips etc) can be removed here but they often drop and wedge these flaps open, destroying the suction. Worth checking too.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

"Clean out the pipes".

There are two rubber flaps at the bottom of the upright bit, on the back

-- impossible to see unless you get down on the floor, along with your DC01. I've never worked out *exactly* what these do, except that they swop round the pressure, depending on whether you're using the wand or not.

Sounds to me like the pipe is blocked between the brush and these flaps: all you do is pull the flap away and see if there's a fur-ball there.

Nobody (DIYer or not) should be without a flexible cable -- don't know the name but it's a bit like large-bore net-curtain cord (still with me?) This is great for shoving in and out of the flaps, and/or the hole behind the brushes - it's about 3' long.

There are few things in life more satisfying than unblocking a vacuum cleaner. At my age, anyway.

John

Reply to
John

This is great for shoving in and out of the flaps, and/or the hole behind the brushes - it's about 3' long.

FNARRR FNARRRR

sorry...

Reply to
baxter basics

Dysons are generally easy to strip down to dozens of bits as the other posts have mentioned - I'm sure you'll get it sorted without too many issues, however we were recently about to condem our DC07 - which we'd got

2nd hand and it had been grossly abused with plaster dust and builders rubble, etc. and the flexy hose was split. I'd cleaned it out best I could, and it was "OK, but" ... However Dyson offer an on-site service & repair for (I think) £57. A lot of money (or half the cost of a Henry!), but we decided to go for it.

The man arrived, stripped it onto a nice mat he'd brought with him and cleaned and polished it. (seriously! It's looks brand new!) The cyclone was BER, as was the HEPA filter.

So they replaced the hose and the cyclone as part of the service (they were posted to us) and I think we had to pay £15 for the HEPA filter - which is never normally supposed to be replaced.

It looks absolutely brand new now and it's at least 4.5 years old, and sucks like nobodys business. (it's actually harder to push over the carpet now because it's sucking down so hard...)

I know a lot of people here knock Dysons, but I have to say I was very impressed by the service man and his attitude towards the service and company.

He said that by far the most important thing was to take care of the filters - the one that's user washable (not the HEPA) - both the sponge part and the fixed part. Wash & dry it every 4 months and the unit will last forever.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

I'll add a bit too (and will try not to include any filthy innuendoes as I did before -- maybe it's subconscious) ...

Our aged DC01 (10 years) recently needed its switch changing (the internal electric switch, which is operated by the external big yellow button). The part is nowhere to be seen on the Dyson website (no internal spare parts are available there). I emailed them via the website, faintly hoping if this part was available. They actually phoned me (twice, because the first time I was busy), checked what it was I wanted, I ordered there and then on the phone, and it arrived two days later. The switch cost 3 quid, plus 3 quid P&P.

All in all I thought this was _great_ service.

Dave-from-the-Medway might now chip in and tell us how crap Dysons are [compared to the favourite: Numatic/Henry] but at this rate our Dyson's going t ooutlast us, and I'll never catch chance to try out Henry!

John [checks for innuendo - nope - unless internal switches and big yellow knobs do it for you]

Reply to
John

Seconded, I'd noticed a lack of "sucking down onto carpet" the other week, something I never had from any other cleaner, on our DC04. Washed the filter and back to normal.

I've yet to compare against the Henry that we aquired before Christmas but I doubt that the Henry will pick up No.1 Daughters stray long hair like the Dyson does...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Yes, I've also used their on-site repair thinking I had burned the motor out by dysoning up building rubbish. In fact it came back to life when he arrived but I had him do the service anyway. Yes, they were very helpful, an example to other companies. Came back a few months later to replace the winder for the cable after that failed, all completely free of charge. Can't knock them. No, and they are not sponsoring this posting!!!

Maris

Reply to
Maris

I was using a DC04 in the garage to couple up to a circular saw. I knocked a heavy metal vice off the workbench and it landed on the cuff on the end of the Dyson hose, and cracked it. Called up Dyson to order a new one, having said what happened to it. I was expecting to have to pay, but no. They said machine was still under guarantee so it was free, and arrived next day. Steller service.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel