Q about house insurance and door locks etc

with the frame.

BS 3621 does not cover multi-point locking systems, so they can't comply and therefore won't carry the Kite mark. Some insurers accept multi-point locks as an alternative to BS 3621 locks.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Look for a cylinder and handle meeting BS10621 "Thief Resistant Dual Mode Lock Assembly" . This is a lock which normally allows keyless exit in case of fire but on which the exit knob can be disabled only from the outside and only by a deliberate action. When you are in the house it acts as a normal knob operated exit lock, when you leave you have the option to secure the door so the internal knob will not open it.

is one.

Reply to
Peter Parry

I'm on gravels so not much experience of heavy clay. Calcium (Gypsum) and organic matter is the gardeners choice but lots of hard digging which you may not want to do on an established lawn.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

+1 Now that you can tailor your own quote online, it's easy to see how little these things amount to.
Reply to
stuart noble

Indeed. Out of interest, you could try getting another quote answering 'yes': chances are (as I did; since I have one potentially non-conforming door) you'll find it makes no difference to the quote.

Reply to
Lobster

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Heh heh. Probably the punishment for some misdemeanour.

Fairly obviously being inner London there are more break-ins round here than in some areas. I've had one which was successful (only lost a VCR) and two failed attempts (that I know of). With the successful one the police did come round when called - but were obviously rather bored about it all. No fingerprints, etc taken. But the offer of sending someone round to advise on security. Which I declined.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Peter Parry writes

Thanks Peter, just the sort of idea I'm looking for, now why didn't I know these existed before?

Reply to
Bill

Thanks to all who replied for the interesting and useful information.

My current insurers refer to locks in this manner:

-----

(a) Main entrance door - a lock approved to BS3621, or - a mortice deadlock of at least 5 levers, or - a rim automatic deadlatch with a key-locking handle on the inside, or - a key operated multi-point locking system with at least three fixing points and a lock cylinder with at least five pins

(b) All other external doors except sliding doors - a lock to the standard of a) above, or - key-operated security devices top and bottom in addition to existing locks

(c) sliding patio doors door lock mounted internally on the centre rails(s) - a key operated patio door lock, or - protection to the standard of b) above

-----

The external doors (wooden-clad steel casing over foam filling) have two 'hooks' and the sliding patio door has two pins, each of these also have a deadlock(?) (bolt thrown by the key action); the keys (similar to a VW key) have six drillings on each flat face, which I take to be 'pins'. Locks are by Garrison. I guess this lot meet the criteria. The house was built in 2003.

Reply to
Terry Fields

I know my lock complies - since I fitted myself - but there is no external indication.

Reply to
charles

As I mentioned earlier about a third of burglaries are now by snapping euro profile lock cylinders. It doesn't take long, requires no real skill nor special tools and makes little noise. Training videos for the scrotes are widely available on line. The most common form of burglary is still through unlocked doors or windows.

Reply to
Peter Parry

If the lock carries no external indication it cannot comply with the BS as part of the standard is marking visible when installed.

Reply to
Peter Parry

renewal time.

And your postcode.

Reply to
harry

There is a new BSI Kite mark standard for 'Enhanced security lock cylinders' - TS007.

Reply to
rbel

As Peter has commented Euro lock cylinder snapping has become a favourite method of breaking in. The trend apparently started in the north east and has now spread through most of the country in the last two years - it has certainly reached the south west where we live.

Last year I replaced the cylinders on our four external doors with Avocet ABS kit which is to the new Kite mark standard TS007 for 'Enhanced security lock cylinders'. I also replaced the handle set on the most vulnerable of the doors with a Hoppe cast aluminium set - this makes access to the cylinder by a burglar much more difficult, has a very good finish and a super smooth action - will probably now replace the other old handle sets.

Reply to
rbel

don't go too crazy - as of course if they "want in" they'll just find another way...

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

It is extremely rare for burglars to pick locks. Lock picking is only done if someone does not want anyone to know they have been there.

Reply to
F Murtz

I get the impression that most people think that a burglar will treat their property with the same care as they do. In reality they will use the easiest means of entry, kick in a door, break a window, wrecking bar (as used on a neighbours front door) etc.

Reply to
alan

Quite. In most casual burglaries, it can cost more to make good the damage than the value of the good stolen. Certainly did in my case where they jemmied a window open (it had decent sash locks)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Sunday 14 April 2013 09:27 alan wrote in uk.d-i-y:

There's still the mark of a wrecking bar on my front door (no idea, like that when I got the place - I did say burglaries were rare here[1])

Which is why I replaced the mortice lock lower down with a decent one.

[1] The hedges used to be 12ft high with no visibility.

Those are now 4ft and the fences fell down, so I took them to the dump with no intention of replacing.

We now have excellent visibility from the road which certainly puts scrotes off.

Reply to
Tim Watts