PVC windows and curtains

Probably a FAQ, but bring me up to speed :-)

New plastic windows. Some have frames all the way to the ceiling. What are my options for fitting curtain track?

Reply to
Laurence Payne

There are curtain tracks with fittings suitable for mounting to the ceiling.

Reply to
S Viemeister

You can apparently drill into the plastic. Ask the company that fitted them if this is possible.

You can also stick up rails for lightweight curtains - though the ones I have here keep falling off :-(

Tim

Reply to
tim

Most standard tracks you can buy now seem to come with suitable mounting brackets that can be used wither to wall or ceiling mount.

I managed to mount a plastic rail to the plasterboard ceiling in one of our rooms by a mixture of fixing to ceiling joists where possible and also using those 'Screw in ' plasterboard fixings for other mounting points, it is securely fixed.

Alternatively, screw a batten to the ceiling joists, and then fix the brackets to that.

Reply to
chris French

I would feel more comfortable using the batten, than plugs into plasterboard - I've had people pull WAY too hard on curtains.

Reply to
S Viemeister

Can't see why you can't drill into the PVC frame and use self tappers. But only drill through the outer 'skin', so set the drill depth to about 1/2 inch. If the brackets are PVC too, you could use PVC weld adhesive to make things stronger. Wouldn't use this for heavy curtains, though.

If you've got a ventilator at the top of the window, that rail might well be PVC covered aluminium.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

If it was just plugs yes, but mine has at least half the screws into the joists. And these screw in plasterboard fixings are much more secure than normal plugs.

Reply to
chris French