PVC tubing grade

I have a need for 5m of pvc tubing ......12mm bore.

The existing (new) tubing is too short, I have purchased some ... but unfortunately there is a 'difference' in material.

A bit non-technical but the existing tubing is more rigid, feels 'harder' definitely much more resistant to flattening under moderate finger pressure, and if you form a curve it does not flatten. Also if you hit a hard surface with it it sounds ' hard' like a stick hitting surface where as the replacemnet sounds soft (not well explained I know)

Wall thickness is the same, does anyone know if there are different grades/classifications of PVC tubing ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes

It sounds like it might be ABS rather than PVC if it has a hard ring when struck. In any case have a look at the link. I is a rigid tube with 12 mm I.D. Brwose the rest of the site for local suppleier and alternatives.

Al.

Reply to
Alan (BigAl)

It is not rigid ... certainly transparent & flexible, and can be rolled, coiled ... but seems 'harder / stiffer' than the PVC I have been able to buy.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

In addition to the bog standard stuff, I know of food grade, medical grade and fuel grade. However, what you describe could simply be a difference in hardness. When I was involved in extruding medical grade clear PVC tube, the application could call for anything from rigid to very floppy and that was achieved by adjusting the amount of plasticiser.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Agreed.

If OP tells us what they are using it for we might be able to give some more helpful advice.

Reply to
newshound

The stuff with reinforcing built it is stiffer and readily available. Would that do? It is less tolerant of fitting over larger pipe stubs though. 12mm-1/2" will not stretch to 15mm copper for instance.

Reply to
Bob Minchin