PVC Pipe siphon

At the moment, the rainfall collected from a roof of about 150 m2 is wasted through a 110 mm PVC drain pipe.

Is it possible to make a siphon out of 110mm PVC pipe where the maximum water height pressure would be 3.5 m? (it could be only 1m if the pipe is rerouted differently but less desirable because of the space invaded).

I.e. can the PVC joints welded with the usual PVC glue withstand a 0.35 kg/cm2 pressure?

If so, I could divert the drain pipe into an existing water reservoir where rain water from other roofs of the house is collected.

If PVC pipe is not advisable for this purpose, what other inexpensive materials can be considered for this situation?

Of course, I would have to place a drain/access point at the lowest point of the siphon to clean all the debris carried by the rain water. That, in itself, is an advantage because it means that the water from that part of the house would be always mostly sediment and dirt free and can pour directly into the water reservoir.

Plenty of pine tree needles, sandy dust and other debris can fall on the roof. Would there be too much risk of clogging? A diverter to gravity discharge could be fitted to prevent that.

Thanks,

Antonio.

Reply to
asalcedo

The pressure rating of British Standard uPVC pipe depends upon the class. The three classes you are likely to be able to obtain easily are Class C - 9 bar, Class D - 12 bar and Class E - 15 bar.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Hi Colin,

Even 9 bar is very high pressure.

I assume that is not for PVC type with glue welded joints. Correct?

Reply to
asalcedo

Properly applied BS solvent weld fittings will happily withstand the same pressure as the pipe they are fitted to.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Hi Colin,

That's is very helpful.

It looks then that it is safe to proceed with PVC pipe as planned.

Thanks,

Antonio

Reply to
asalcedo

Make sure not to be stingy with the solvent. It acts as a lubricant while you put the parts together. If you use too little, the joint will weld before you get it fully assembled and there is no way to get it apart once that has happened. It might be a good idea to practice on a non-critical part first.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar