PVA is strong stuff and I am about to be killed

I spilt a few blobs of PVA on the girlfriends kitchen worktop last week whilst doing some work for her. I have just tried removing these dried up blobs using a butter knife but I have also removed some of the worktop. The PVA stuck so well that it lifted some of the shiny finish of the work surface when I pulled it away.

I have covered/hidden the hole with her kettle for now.

Any ideas for what will happen when she makes a brew in the morning? I think I am dead meat.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Leave town now, this instant. Do not pass Go, do not stop to collect=20 =A3200. Change your name, NI number, Passport and Driving Licence.=20 Change your occupation and/or employer.

This is one of those things that girlfriends/partners *never* forget and =

will always be brought up again at times suitable for their purposes.=20 Your only way out, if you want to stay, is to *tell* her (don't ask)=20 that you're going to get her a nice new granite, slate or tiled worktop. =

Tell her that you've been examining the current one closely and that=20 it is poor quality (only then show her the mark but without letting on=20 that you made it), and finally ask her which type and colour of worktop=20 she prefers. If you are extremely lucky she will be so impressed with=20 you and thinking hard about her choice of colour, that she will forget=20 to ask how the mark appeared. :^

--=20 Dave N

N.B. Mail to nospam will be rejected. The "Reply-To" does work.

Reply to
Dave N

Make sure you're up before her. Find a small glass bottle with a screw lid, remove any label it might have. Fill it with water...add a few drops of food colouring if you have any, and/or bung in some general surface cleaner ( to give it a bit of a smell ). Place a drop of the liquid over the damaged part of the worktop. Pop the lid on, but don't screw it down - wait beside the worktop.

When she comes into the kitchen, make like you're struggling to get the top off the bottle ( Jeez, this is hard work etc etc ). Before she gets too near, whip the top off and 'accidentally' splash the contents into your face. Drop the bottle, put both hands up to your face and scream "My eyes!!! Oohhh Godddddd...my eyes!!! It Burnsssss aaaaaaaaaarrrrgghghghg!!!" ( Rubbing your eyes vigorously at this point will have the double effect of making your performance look good and reddening the eyes ).

When the show is over ( ham it up and spin it out for as long as you feel necessary ) you can point to the damaged worktop and exclaim "Jeezus...look what that stuff did to the worktop!!! She's bound to ask what the stuff is...so just say it's a solvent for removing glue.

Sorted!

Regards,

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Plan A. Grab a bottle that belongs to her, nail polish remover, condintioner, pro biotic yogurt drink, whatever - makes sure its something 'girly' preferably a cosmetic of some kind. Place directly over mark.

Write a large sign in red marker saying "what the hell have you done to this worktop?" with a big arrow pointing to the mark.

Attack is the best form of defence. Worked a treat for Wellington.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You only needed to wet it for a while. PVA softens in water.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Serves you right for not taking precautions,almost as bad as those people who are working over bath areas with either tools or tiling and wonder why the bath has a big scratch/chip when they drop the hammer/tile.

Reply to
George

Heh! ain't it supposed to be waterproof when dry? lol

Reply to
George

No, which is why it shouldn't be used on new plaster prior to painting - the paint 'melts' it and it goes like wallpaper paste

Reply to
Phil L

I find this hard to believe....I think it might have been the knife that did the damage, PVA should have come off with no more than a fingernail. Have you tried wetting the offending marks with hot water? - preferably boiling - any residues left from the PVA will wipe right off after a short while

Reply to
Phil L

Would this help?

in various colours).

Reply to
Andy Wade

In message , ARWadworth writes

No, you're quite wrong there - you won't be deaded. Most 'Wimmin' consider 'deading' to be too quick, too easy a way out. You'll probably be tortured, boiled, psychologically abused, plucked and generally made a misery until such time as she thinks you're suitable for deading. This can take weeks, sometimes even as much as 12 months. Lifetimes of misery aren't unheard of.

As I said to the chap who dropped his phone down my chimney[1] and wanted to knock a hole in the chimney breast in the front room... "It's alright for you, you'll only be dead, but I'll still have to live with her".

Hth!!!

[1] Anyone remember that? Yep, phone is still down there :-) Someone
Reply to
somebody

That seems to be a common misconception.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It was not the knife. Look at the photo below. The PVA lifted the work surface as I removed it.

Have you tried wetting the offending marks with hot water? - preferably

The rest of the PVA on the photo came off with no problems after soaking. I cannot believe how strong dried PVA is.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

I am not telling her that "attack is the best form of defence". Plan B Have you got any recommendations for knacker protection?

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Been there, damaged a worktop, life a misery thereafter. As a treat for a former girlfriend I made a "surprise" casserole. So using her best, heaviest casserole pot put lots of ingredients in and for reasons that escape me now, also turned the pot around several times on the worktop while stirring the contents. The unglazed bottom of the pot scored circular scratches into the worktop. To say she was displeased would be an understatement. Life was made a misery for several weeks and every opportunity made to keep pointing out out the damage.

Reply to
David in Normandy

heh heh. I can picture a scene a few weeks later. Dave : "I've got some time on me hands this afternoon, love. I'll fix that wardrobe door thats hangin off" Her "Thats nice, babe..tick...tock...Will you be needing to borrow my egg whisk?"

Arthur

Reply to
Arthur 51

(available in various colours).

Will it to cover my bits up after she has removed them? Worth a try.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

I am sure she will point it out at every available opportunity. About 15 years ago I ran over a previous girlfriend's dog that was asleep on the driveway and she harped on about it non stop until I dumped her.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadworth

Just don't buy a Toyota Yaris. :-)

Reply to
George

Have you still got the piece? A judicious application of a suitable glue (not PVA) and the cleaned up bit of laminate may improve matters. However, it is probably in a heavily used spot, and this may be unacceptable.

Reply to
<me9