Putty - still the choice for windows?

Hi,

I have a wooden window, about 16" x 24", that the outside putty is falling off. I have to replace it obviously and, as I have not puttied in a long time, I wonder whether putty is still considered the correct material to use or whether there are newer, more flexible, easier to use products around? Any suggestions welcome... or should I stick with the knife and putty?

The window faces the sea and takes quite a hammering from the elements but, basically, the putty has lasted since about 1989.

Thanks,

John.

Reply to
John Smith

Putty is good, the oil in it helps stop your window rotting. There's a lot of stuff which you can use instead, but putty+paint is good.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Talking of putty.

What's the best way to paint putty ?

Do you paint it while it's fresh or leave it for a while ?

Are there any tips and tricks ?

Reply to
Rolyata

You need to let it form a skin, otherwise it mingles with the paint when you put it on. I found that one day isn't enough to form a skin, but the tub says it should be painted within a week (? or was it month?!!) so I would give it a few days before painting. It will form a skin much quicker IMHO if it is in a draught or can catch the breeze. Oh., there is a special putty knife, I've never used one but I imagine it's worthwhile. Also, don't put so much putty on that it is visible from inside the window: I did that once and it looks naff.

Andy

Reply to
andrewpreece

Thanks all.