Putty removal

Our front door has nine funny-glass panes that we want to replace. The wood partition between the panes on the putty side is very thin, dimensions about 18mm x 4mm. I don't know how to remove the putty without breaking this. My usual method, spatula and hammer, is almost guaranteed to damage the wood and involve me in some fiddly carpentry. Any suggestions?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

I found a long post online by someone who sounded as if he knew what he was talking about.

(you have to scroll to the bottom) He said apply a mixture of linseed oil and chlorine bleach with the frame lying flat, for a day or so. Apparently the linseed oil will penetrate into the putty and soften it, while the chlorine attacks the calcite in the putty (which is made from high-calcite lime and linseed oil) and does something. Anyone tried this?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

Sometimes works: Solid, thick block of wood, placed against most of the length of the wood partition. Smack wood block with hammer.

The goal is to break the bond between the putty and the glass without breaking anything else...

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

I realized that this is unclear just after sending... the smacking is parallel to the glass, i.e. the thick block of wood is pressing outwards from the middle of the pane.

Thomas Prufer

Reply to
Thomas Prufer

As it's summer down your way, that might be worth a try! I'd break the glass first and use the shards to prise the putty away from the wood. If the putty is still soft inside (and it's amazing how much of it is), it should separate easily

Reply to
stuart noble

I've recently removed similar panes from an old door. Most of the putty was rock hard, except for a couple of panes that had obviously been replaced. Still, your suggestion is worth a try.

Reply to
Gib Bogle

You can apparently use an infra-red heater to soften the putty.

I've even seen them (on the web) specially for putty and paint removal

Reply to
chris French