Putting ladder on flat roof

I'm hoping to install a new aerial to an existing pole on a chimney stack on a bungalow. That side of the building has had an extension with a flat roof so it is very easy to get to the base of the chimney.

How do I best get the 3m I need to up the chimney to get to where the aerial has to go? A ladder would be ideal but how do I determine if it is safe?

Reply to
AnthonyL

Lump of 3/4" ply big enough to span joists, stand ladder on that, make sure it can't slip (tie foot of ladder to an eye bolt screwed into the wall?)

Reply to
Andy Burns

The first problem with a ladder on a flat roof is not to damage the felt or whatever surface is on it. A plank or wide board for the ladder to stand o n will suffice. The ladder needs to rest against the wall at an angle of 70 deg. but your next concern should be is the chimney substantial enough to t ake your weight leaning against especially at a height of 3m. If so tie th e ladder to the chimney to prevent movement and you should be OK.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

If this is a 10ft high single pot chimney (about 2 1/2 bricks each side) you need to treat it with care. I wouldn't lean on it with the ladder unless it's in really good nick.

You'll have to stand the ladder on a biggish board, and the board will have to be tied to the building or fixed in position by some other means.

Don't tread on any bubbles on the felt or you'll crack them.

I would seriously consider hiring a small scaffold platform for this job.

And that existing pole? Are you sure it's OK?

How far below the top course is the chimney bracket? Three clear courses is the minimum, assuming a mast no longer than 6ft with a normal aerial at the top.

How does the co-ax get from the aerial to the roof? It can't be left loose. It needs clipping, so the mortar needs to be good.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

A picture of the chimney might help.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Yes I'll have a go at that tomorrow. Do I put the picture under the ladder {sorry}

Reply to
AnthonyL

Many years ago a single friend had a bright idea and ran (well - dropped) the coax down the (then unused) chimney and through a hole he drilled in the side of the chimney breast to get to the TV.

Some years later his new wife decided the weather was a bit damp and horrible so a nice fire was just what was needed so they could snuggle up on the couch and watch TV together.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Some photos of mine (painted stack) and the flat roof and one of my neighbour's:

I've been testing one of my aerials and have posted some information on an earlier thread I had started: Preempting aerial reception problems - there is something wierd going on.

Reply to
AnthonyL

See photo link at end - I presume an alternative is to simply lower the pole?

Ah - my next door neighbour, nice Scottish man - says he's got a board. Lots of flat roofs in this area.

It looks ok, I've pulled it a bit, seems quite robust.

It's one of those wrap around wired jobs - hopefully more secure than a bracket - and there are two aerials up there at the moment.

Ref photo - there's not much roof to traverse.

Photos:

My main worry now is what aerial to get without wasting money as my neighbour's newish aerial, or his installer, is giving problems.

Reply to
AnthonyL