Put wood glue in hole in chipboard before inserting screw

Old hat. Works well, was commonly used in the days before thin shank screws.

Reply to
harryagain

I had an idea recently about making a fixing onto chipboard a little (or much) stronger. I figured that if I dab a small amount of wood glue in the hole before inserting and tightening the screws, after a few hours that glue will have soaked into the surrounding chipboard and strengthened it while drying. I've now done this, fixing a home-made wipe* roll holder to the side of my oven unit's "cupboard" (chipboard). I used brass screws.

Good idea? Or a waste of time?

  • the large rolls of blue industrial wipe from Scooby Doos

MM

Reply to
MM

Might be a bit difficult when it comes to removing the screws.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I have often used superglue. This readily soaks into chipboard (saturate if possible), and greatly increases its strength. It also 'fixes' chipboard when it has split. Of course, make sure it has 'gone off' before you put the screw in (a tiny* drop of water can speed things). You may need to re-drill the pilot hole. Polyester resin also works well

- but obviously is much more viscous.

*Not enough to soften the chipboard).
Reply to
Ian Jackson

I have adopted Andy Dingley's suggestion with great success; glue in short pieces of bamboo, cut from barbecue skewers. This is dead cheap and the bamboo has strong fibres running the right way for the screws to grip against.

The main thing is ensuring that the screws go into the centre of the skewer. I have only done this after the fact (screws previously present); I use a bradawl to mark the centre of the skewer cross-section once glued.

The wood glue idea is an alternative but not as good as this, I'm pretty sure.

HTH Jon N

Reply to
jkn

I used to do that a lot and it certainly works a treat.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Well, I never! I've reinvented the wheel!

MM

Reply to
MM

I won't want to remove them, ever.

MM

Reply to
MM

Might you want to tighten them if the thing they are screwed into shrinks ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Nope. Chipboard is stable for years indoors.

MM

Reply to
MM