Put a new filament bulb in, blew 2 days later

Replaced blown bulb with a 40w bulb, Wilkinson's own brand (blown one was also Wilkinson, but had been in for 9 months. However, the new bulb blew only TWO days later!

Normally, when a bulb goes in this 2004-built house, it trips the lighting circuit on the same floor, but this didn't happen this time with either bulb.

Dodgy bulb? Voltage spike? Something wrong with the circuit? NB: Nothing else wrong/no other symptoms as far as I can tell.

MM

Reply to
MM

For that size of bulb buy 'rough duty' bulbs which are apparently excluded from the phase-out. Buy at Halfords for inspection lamps.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

In message , MM writes

Just try another one

Reply to
geoff

40w filiaments are very flimsy after being powered on once. Vibration will break fliaments. I was nailing gib board on to a ceiling at night, and the bulb in the middle of the ceiling kept failing. I unscrewed the holder and let it hang on the wiring, and that stopped the bulb blowing until I finished the nailing.
Reply to
Matty F

It's in now. Wonder how long for this time!

MM

Reply to
MM

Oh, well. I've only got a few more to use up and then I've got loads of the new (and ugly) modern replacements. (I bought loads of these when Sainsbury's was running its special offer about a year ago - 50 pence for five, I seem to recall.)

MM

Reply to
MM

I notice 100W pearl lamps are back in most of the shops around me.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel