put a freezer out on the decking?

Hi,

Run out of space in the kitchen, could do with a chest freezer. Out the back door is some raised decking (we're 1 floor up). Is there any way to put a freezer out there? I thought about buying one of those low-rise plastic shedlings, but would that be safe? What kind of electrical arrangements would be necessary (I don't imagine running an extension lead out the window would work out).

Cheers,

John

Reply to
aboleth

aboleth wrote in

You'd need some pretty effective venting on the enclosure to get rid of the heat expelled from the freezer.

Reply to
PeterMcC

Main question is whether the freezer would work there. The basic proposition is no different from sticking it in the garage, but newer freezers are designed to work at normal room temperatures, not outside ones.

Reply to
EricP

Weight might be a problem - depending on size of course. Our chest freezer is VERY big and I tend to think of it as a standard size :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

That's only half true.. fridge freezers with one compressor don't work outside normal room temps. A freezer should have no problems.

The reason fridge freezers fail is the thermostat is normally in the fridge, if the outside is so cold that the fridge doesn't need to run then neither does the freezer. So the freezer part gets too warm.

Reply to
dennis

Last explanation I got involved a load of guff about vapourisation dynamics and compression logistics.

You sure it's as simple as that? (Not that I dare doubt you on a topic like this) :))

Reply to
EricP

That's the reason single compressor fridge freezers fail when its cold. I can't see why someone would design a compressor/etc. that didn't work in the cold. Its like saying don't go on holiday and expect your food to be frozen.

It was probably someone trying to BS you into thinking they were experts. ;-)

Reply to
dennis

That definitely happens. It's happened to us. If the only thermostat (in the fridge) is set at 5c and the ambient temp goes down to 2 or 3 it will switch off and stay off.

A seperate issue seems to be that nowadays fridges are spec'd and built for the market they are sold in (modern "green" refrigerants) but many of them are designed for the Mediterranean but end up being sold here because it's cheaper.

It's possible a fridge or freezer intended for use inside in Spain or Portugal might struggle outside in an English winter. Why? you might ask, it's colder here. It could be that for instance the circulating fan in a frost free appliance might come on less often or not at all leading to temperature gradients and localised thawing within the food storage cavity. Maybe.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Won't work. Most modern freezers are spec'd at minimum +5°C operating temperture.

My mate had a very rusty old Hoover make freezer in his shed and got a nice shiny replacement. Come the cold weather, temp alarm goes off, reading -10°C in freezer bit as external temperature is too cold at 0°C.

The normal catagory ratings are N='normal' +16ºC to +32ºC; SN='sub-normal' +10ºC to +32ºC; ST='sub-tropical'

+18ºC to +38ºC. The appliance will not cool correctly if the room temperature falls outside the stated range for long periods

My mate got it taken back (by Argos) as not suitable and eventually got a freezer (special order from local electrical shop) that was suitable for lower temperature operation, and it works fine in the outside shed.

Reply to
Ian_m