Push-On retainer

Not sure of proper name ... But I am referring the the segmented round spring washer thingy's that are used to retain shafts. Often used of pushchairs, etc.

As per this pic:

Nearest description I can think of is 'Push-on shaft retainer'

Simple Q ... is there a particular knack of method to remove these without breaking them ?

I usually end up trying to pry up the 'gripping tongues' and ease out with a screwdriver, but often end up damaging the darn things.

They obvioulsy work by having a hole smaller than shaft diameter ... so assume trying to use a set of 3 leg pullers on outer edge, would either kink the outside edge or turn thing inside out and probably snap it.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Starlocks.

Pig to get off easily. As you say, levering up legs is all there is. On the smaller ones this will sometimes crack the washer part.

An assortment pack is probably the best solution; but they come past so infrequently it never seems a good idea until the next time!!

Reply to
Scott M

The other way to remove them is to "unscrew" them. Grip firmly in a mole wrench with it in the plane of the washer. Apply a bending moment so that the internal legs are at slightly different axial positions. Rotate, and it will wind off the shaft (a bit like a "self tapping" nut).

Reply to
newshound

I'll try that ....

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Forgotten that one; I've had success doing that too, now it's mentioned.

Reply to
Scott M

internal tooth retainers? springrip(TM) ? Starlock clips?

No.

exactly. Just get a pack of new ones, or a shaft that tales a circlip, or cross drill the shaft to take a retaining pin.

bloody pricey.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Good plot, but it can cause a bit of damage to the shaft. Damage may/may not be of any importance

Reply to
Nick

Manufaturer is ending me a slack handful for free, just needed to get one off and refit it for tomorrow.

Reply to
Rick Hughes