Push fit plumbing - any good?

... snipped

The "copper skills" are reasonable but I normally use solder ring fittings rather than end fed. The only time I had a problem was when I was using some old fittings and a previously-tinned end on the pipe; the old fittings had leaded solder rings and the tinning used lead-free :-( Now I look at the symbol on the fitting!

What type of fitting do I use to adapt from a poly rising main to copper? Currently the main goes straight to 15mm copper using some sort of brass fitting but I want to change this to 22mm, unfortunately it's in a corner and near the floor so it's going to be a b*gger of a job.

Dave S

Reply to
Dave

A heating engineer I know is working on sites installing Hep2O. O rings being dislodged after the pipe is installed is pretty common. The fitting failure rate is high averaging one every second house. It takes a hell of an effort to push these fitting home which the installers don't particularly like, especially in tight corners. In many instances a normal compression joint would be better. Many fittings fail after a test (all systems are pressure tested) and when the same fitting is taken off and replaced it holds. Small amounts of dust/dirt can make a leak.

None of them are too fussed on plastic pipe and think it is more of a hindrance because of the constant failures on the first fix. When they do a soldered joint they know it will hold. The odd compression joint weeping usually means just a quick tighten up. Installing copper on first fix is just as easy to these guys, if not easier than plastic pipe. Plastic requires more clips. They say it does not cut installation time.

Plastic Is only used so the Travellers will not strip out the copper overnight.

That is one of plastics advantages. It is resistant to freezing.

Reply to
IMM

So the other adage of a poor workman blaming his tools applies then...

To summarise:

- Instructions say to use cutter and not hacksaw because of risk of damage to O-ring etc.

- You use hacksaw and have a problem that the joint leaks because the O-ring has been damaged.

- Everybody else has no problems at all when using correct pipe cutter tool.

Then you claim that it's a manufacturing defect. A bit implausible, isn't it......

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've been using JG Speedfit for the last couple of years. They have a twist lock feature on them which stops the pipe moving around and tightens the seal ring around the pipe after insertion. Never had a problem with them.

For straight runs and where pipes will be visible I still use copper pipe. Plastic is great and time saving everywhere else.

Reply to
StealthUK

Why? Buying end feed in bulk packs represents an even greater saving, and if you can solder ring ones ok, you'll have no probs with end feed. Neater, too. ;-)

That shouldn't have caused a problem with the correct flux.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You must learn to read properly.

< snip tripe >
Reply to
IMM

This is pants.

Reply to
IMM

Like you did with the instructions?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

ROFL!!

Tell me, what's the purpose of the PTFE in your "compression joints with olives and PTFE"? Shoddiness indeed!

Reply to
Grunff

Don't touch it with a barge pole! Push-fit equals shoddiness in my book. Yorkshire fittings or compression joints with olives and PTFE. Anything else is crap.

MM

Reply to
Mike Mitchell

End feed copper fitting and pipe does look very professional when installed correctly.

Reply to
IMM

Why not end feed? Much cheaper than yorkshires, and neater too.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I presume you're referring to JG pushfit stuff. Well, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it but from what experience do you say this? How many have you had fail?

Reply to
StealthUK

Get a scrap of copper tube and stick an end feed coupler on the end. Solder it and then by looking inside you'll see how easily the solder has flowed and gone all the way around. You'll also be able to see how little solder is needed. End feed fittings are not a big deal. I've never had one leak yet - touch wood. They are not only neater and cheaper but provide less resistance when trying to push tubing into them against solder ring fittings.

Reply to
StealthUK

In article , IMM writes

sniff, sniff, can anybody else smell bullshit around here?

Reply to
David

I haven't opened this thread up yet but I just know I'm going to find an IMM/Andy et al debate going on :-)

Reply to
G&M

In message , Dave writes

IS your name DIMM ?

no?

Should be OK then

Reply to
raden

In message , IMM writes

Hacksaw or angle grinder ?

Reply to
raden

In message , IMM writes

They normally do, ... when used correctly

Reply to
raden

In message , IMM writes

And does this "friend" post in Uk-diy on a regular basis ?

Reply to
raden