Push fit plumbing - any good?

I've always used soldered joints but am being tempted by the Tectite push-fit range for a heating re-furb I'm about to embark on - maybe even plastic pipe rather than copper! How long have they been around? Any horror stories? Are there any other competing ranges I should consider?

Dave S

Reply to
Dave

The plastic products are good, although some are aesthetically better looking than others.

There are real and accelerated life tests and manufacturers issue long guarantees.

There are numerous brands. I've used

- Hep2o

- JG Speedfit

- Marley Equator

- Tectite

and had no problems with any of them on either copper or barrier plastic tube.

It is important to follow the instructions for bending and securing and also to cut using a proper pipe cutter.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Pushfit Tectite is good. Keep to copper pipe and only use plastic pipe when you need to.

Reply to
IMM

Your opinion on the subject changes every time you post on it! That includes your favourite brand.

Reply to
Grunff

Another mentalist.

Reply to
IMM

Generally these change quarterly, as opposed to the heating solution of the month.

Speedfit is out of favour at present, ever since the hacksaw incident.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

I've also used all of the above, as well as CuproFit, and have had no problems with any of them.

I recently tried the ToolsStation offering, made by QualPlumb. They are similar in construction to Hep fittings, but come in white plastic. I was quite impressed with them.

Reply to
Grunff

Check out the price. If you've got decent 'copper' skills, you'll save quite a bit of money. Neater job too.

Plastic can be easier to route under floors, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

What incident was that? Speedfit has always been out of favour.

Reply to
IMM

Who makes them? The Homebase own brand is made by Speedfit. Is it Hepworth just changing the colour?

Reply to
IMM

Are there any huge price differences between the brands? - presumably the pipe and fittings are all made to a standard so are interchangeable(?)

What's special about the pipe cutter? I see that Screwfix have got a cheap one and an expensive one - any experience with them?

Thanks, Dave S

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Grunff

Not really. All are expensive compared to copper pipe and end feed fittings.

In theory, yes, as they all have to conform to a standard. In practice, no. Hepworth say do not interchange as makers tolerances are different.

It gives a clean straight cut very quickly. You can acheive this with other tools, but it will take longer.

Reply to
IMM

The main difference in price comes from where you buy them and how many you buy. The most expensive way of buying them is to buy just one from B&Q or a plumbers merchant. The cheapest way is to buy a bag of 10 from Screwfix or Toolstation.

They all use standard pipe, so 10mm, 15mm, 22mm, 28mm are the main sizes. The only thing to look out for is pipe inserts. When using plastic pipe, you need to use plastic/copper/s.steel inserts in the end of the pipe. Use the correct insert for the fitting.

I have one of each. The SpeedFit cutter (blue) is by far the best way of cutting. It's very quick, and gives nice clean square cuts. The cheap Screwfix cutter (red) is ratchetting, and is good for cutting big MDPE pipe. Does a pretty good job on 12/22mm PEX pipe, but not as quick as the blue cutter.

Reply to
Grunff

But who was ranting on about how bad push fit couplings were a couple of months ago, when a certain someone f*cked up a fiends pluming because he couldn't read the instructions ?...

Surely it wasn't the same 'IMM' as who has just posted the above message ?!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

At this point it's worth googling for a little thread we had a while back.

Reply to
Grunff

It is not worth it. "It gives a clean straight cut very quickly. You can acheive this with other tools, but it will take longer." That is all you need to know.

Reply to
IMM

Surely you remember.....

You do have to read and follow the instructions.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well, you say that...

After that little hacksaw thread I did a fair bit of playing around with various pushfit fittings, being of a curious disposition. It's actually really, *really* hard to get one to leak.

The easiest to damage were CuproFit, where the O ring can be pushed out if you insert the pipe at a sharpish angle. I failed to make any speedfit or hep fitting leak while 'making' them, or subsequently by applying sideways pressure to the pipe. In both JG and Hep fittings it was the plastic casing that broke first.

On another matter, 3 years ago I installed a 'temporary' water valve outside near the stables. This made use of 3 JG fittings and a Pegler

1/4 turn ball valve. It has been sitting on a concrete block outside for 3 years, through quite a few freeze/thaw cycles. No leaks yet from the fittings, but I had to replace the valve last year because of frost damage.
Reply to
Grunff

No incident with an hacksaw. the hacksaw worked perfectly.

I'm sure you have never seen one of these never mind use one:

right hand side is the handle. Then make sure the serrated part is facing down. Don't let the kids near it.

Reply to
IMM