Pumpkin cutter

I once saw a gadget that cuts pumpkins safely. It's basically a long knife hinged at the end to a baseplate. I'd like to make one (or buy one) for a friend who is an invalid and unable to cut pumpkins open. But when I use Google, any useful sites are buried amongst millions of damned Halloween sites. Anyone got a site or ideas for a design?

Reply to
Nick

==================== You might consider a traditional paper guillotine - not the sliding trimmer type.

It would be worth testing one to see if it works properly on fruit although they seem to do pretty well on fingers.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I think the blade needs to be thinner than that, and needs to be stainless steel. I have some stainless steel but it's a bit too thin. Maybe I can buy a long knife and put an extension on the handle.

Reply to
Nick

A mitre saw ..lol

Reply to
Stuart

I find the Images search on Google good for this sort of thing. There must have been some research done on the eye discriminating more quickly between images that would fit in.

Anyway, it turned up this:

clowes_ian

clowes snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@u72g2000cwu.googlegroups.com:

With a quick look that seems one of the best suggestions I've seen

Thanks

mike

Reply to
mike

larger. I'll get a large knife and make one. I am amazed that all kitchen shops don't have pumpkin cutters for sale. There's an idea for someone to make some money.

Reply to
Nick

Use quotes - i.e. google for '"pumpkin cutter"', not 'pumpkin cutter'.

googled for

"pumpkin cutter" delivery

and selected pages from the UK - that gave me exactly two hits. They sell four sizes, hopefully one of them is right!

and got

Reply to
Ben Blaukopf

The message from Nick contains these words:

Probably 'cos almost no one eats pumpkins.

Reply to
Guy King

I did that, of course.

Now for a site in New Zealand! This one looks good:

Nick