Pumped central heating system

My dad has asked me to ask this, I hope this is the right group

"Fitting a pumped central heating system, is it possible to take pipes down from the bedroom to the lounge and back up again, and from another bedroom to the dining room and back up again, or do I have to come down from upstairs and run piping all the way across the lounge to the dining room and back again?"

Thanks to anyone taking the trouble to help him out.

Reply to
grimmy

Tell him that he can drop pipes down to each radiator individually, or he can drop them down to one and then along to others.

However, he should check up on the heat output and water flow requirements for what he is connecting and make sure that he is using large enough pipe.

Reply to
Andy Hall

You can do either, and it is pretty standard in houses with concrete floors that aren't suitable for containing pipework to use the drop method. Ensure that each drop loop has a drain c*ck at the bottom for draining, as water doesn't flow uphill to the one at the boiler.

The main disadvantage of dropping individually is that it is harder to make an upstairs/downstairs zone split, but this might not concern as many people as perhaps it should.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

"Christian McArdle" wrote | The main disadvantage of dropping individually is that it is | harder to make an upstairs/downstairs zone split, but this | might not concern as many people as perhaps it should.

If it's designed from the outset, is there any reason why there could not be two flow pipes (upstairs and downstairs) and a common return?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

could not be

you can't use a common return pipe because when only one zone is in use you get reverse circulation in the radiators on the other zone, unless you use check valves everywhere, you have to run both returns separately and tee them together after all the radiators have been picked up. Rich

Reply to
richard