Pump to move rainwater butt water up about 15ft ...

require to

What environmental grounds are they then, foul waste / detergents yes but how is discharging 'water' a problem.

litres per

comfortable

Sorry, but the person needs to turn the tap half on to do what they are doing, otherwise they would not be turning the tap on half way. Next you'll be telling us that half a glass of water is the same as a full glass of water....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

You are a very confused person. Sad but true.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Well, if the user was cleaning their teeth, leaving the tap running, then no, but if they were filling a bucket to clean the floor, filling the sink to do the washing-up or maybe filling a hand-basin or bath (amongst other things), then it would take considerable longer, this would inconvenience the user considerably.

Likewise with

I would need to experience the two flow rates to be able to comment on this one!

Reply to
Sparks

Stop talking about yourself.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

You are not getting a poem.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

mistake. Metered charges are much higher, you have to be truly mean to get lower bills.

Whatever you do, dont lose that potion, or youll kick yourself for the next 20 years.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Re switchover mechanisms, it is essential to plumb it in such a way that rain could never get into the mains, even when the mains goes negative pressure. If that happens you could have nasty trouble. Rainwater is not sterile by a long way.

Talking of bacteria, I guess there is some advantage in excess rain flushing through the primary rain tank rather than diverting, since it will help make the water cleaner and sweeter, rinsing out pongiform bugs.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I did some calcs a few years ago, the cost of leccy use was a weeny fraction of the water cost savings.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

The packaged systems do this.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

require to

comfortable

all true. Can you use aerators on showers too?

everyone sells service valves.

flushes and

Rain is not great for washing machines. It can make clothes whiff a bit at times, and fine grit can prevent the solenoids closing fully. It can be treated and used, but thats more mullah. Its really only good for garden and bog.

56" per year in UK, multiplied by the roof area less evaporation. A whole lotta rain.

Sure, but I would not recommened a tank that size, if you store rain for 12 weeks in hot drought conditions its gonna really pong. That may be right for a no-mains setup, but for most of us a small cheap tank with mains backup is better =A3wise.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Brethren and cistern, I'd like to say tank you...

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Those with low water usage usually benefit from a water meter.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

require to

comfortable

all true. Can you use aerators on showers too?

These have cartridge that regulates the flow in an in-line unit. With wash basins in toilets and the likes, using only 6mm or 8mm pipe is fine. You see this size on the Continent supplying basins. In the UK we oversize many pipes.

With a proper filters commercial unit it is fine.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

no more use than service valves.

oversize many

I've used microbore sinks, and am not impressed. Much better to use half inch plus an aerator.

yes, but thats no simple job. You have to remove solids, kill bacteria and flush the filter, while maintaing good flow rate. It is not a case of a little inline filter.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Good !

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Far more use. When it says 10 litres, no more than 10 litres passes through. These can be used to balance a main pressure water system: combi.thermal store, unvented cylinder, or even used to reduce water consumption.

Gives no reason why unimpressed. On a hot pipe far too much water can lost waiting for the hot to come through when pipes are oversized. Using 6mm to

8mm on a basin mean the hot water is available very quickly and less water wasted.

Some sense here.

I said proper commercial units. The packaged off the shelf units, usually made in Germany.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

yes it regulates, but I'm not sure thats especially useful. In cases where the mains pressure varies widely it would be the way to go, some people are on supplies like that, but for the rest of us a 49p service valve works fine.

To get a decent water flow one had to open the tap wide, and you got adequate flow but at sillyly high pressure, the water would spray all over the place just when washing hands. Its possible this may be because the taps were narrow bore as well: if the final tap piping is half inch the water would slow down, so I guess youre fairly much right there.

The other downside was that when filling water containers, it was both slow and delivered at messily high pressure. So fine for bathroom sink, but slow for kitchen sink. Perhaps a good solution would be hot sink water on microbore, cold on half inch.

good point.

less waste, yes, much, but i dont think it ill make it any quicker. Narrower bore means lower flowrate as well as lower capacity.

bacteria

I dont know what system you mean, RO?

NT

Reply to
bigcat

Surprisingly enough ( well it surprised me) even with a slightly bigger than average family a water meter is saving me 100 quid per year. Self

  • wife + 3 kids + fair amount of garden watering: roughly 200 quid per year on the meter; previous charge based on rateable value of house was around 300 quid per annum.
Reply to
airsmoothed

do you work for the waterboard?

NT