Pump on flow or return?

I have one pipe coming from the suck side of the pump (between the pump and the boiler), leading along then up to the expansion tank. It goes straight into the bottom of the tank, and there's a T just at the tank with the over the top one you describe.

I fail to see why that pipe is less resistance. Water pressure is measured by the height of water above you, which is identical inside the tank and in the loopy over the top pipe.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

A response like that proves you to be an idiot and/or bigot. Please have the last word, you're stupid act (please god it's an act) isn't worth bothering with.

Reply to
brass monkey

What about the resistance offered by a lump of congealed gunk and hard water scale wedged into the outlet of the F&E tank?

Tis the thing about fail safe systems, they are there it cope with situations when other stuff goes wrong.

Reply to
John Rumm

Bigot? Do you even know what that means? Howe the f*ck does it apply to this so called conversation?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I would think gunk would offer less resistance than the pipe connections in the system.

Anyway surely water frequently moves up and down into the expansion tank, so the gunk will shift.

And in Scotland, we don't have scale :-P

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

the boiler), leading along then up to the expansion tank. It goes straight into the bottom of the tank, and there's a T just at the tank with the over the top one you describe.

by the height of water above you, which is identical inside the tank and in the loopy over the top pipe.

I'm not convinced that convection loop could remove the excess heat from a boiler going full bore, especially if most of the radiators have switched off their TRVs.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

and the boiler), leading along then up to the expansion tank. It goes straight into the bottom of the tank, and there's a T just at the tank with the over the top one you describe.

measured by the height of water above you, which is identical inside the tank and in the loopy over the top pipe.

boiler going full bore, especially if most of the radiators have switched off their TRVs.

Would the small expansion tank not eventually boil and be unable to remove as much heat as the boiler could put in? My tank is about a third of the size of the boiler.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott