Pulped paper loft insulation fire-safe?

Good evening.

Two of my lofts (it's a funny house) are insulated with what looks like old newspaper, kind of macerated or pulped to make something vaguely like vermiculite. But fluffier.

I did a flammability test in the living room grate, and found that it does burn, rather slowly (i.e. not vigorously like ordinary paper), but then again, it did not refuse to burn either.

Can anyone tell me if this stuff is safe? My guess is not, and I should take it all out and replace it with something else. But if anyone can give me an informed opinion, I will be grateful.

-David Pearson (a bit worried in Taunton)

Reply to
David Pearson

It's probably reasonably safe. It should be very unlikely to be at the source of a fire anyway, and if there's a fire anywhere else in the house you should have got out (thanks to your smoke detectors) long before the flames reach the loft.

I'd be more worried if you had stuff like that under the stairs which form your means of escape.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If it's Bitvent,which is the only pulped paper insulation I know, it should burn for a few seconds then extinguish the fire itself with the fumes. However from your description it may not be this. I would suggest you look up Bitvent's address on the web and send them a sample to confirm if it is their product or not.

Reply to
Mike

Good idea, thanks Mike.

-David P.

Reply to
David Pearson

keep it clear of recessed ceiling lights.

NT

Reply to
bigcat