Pull-out larder frames?

I want to fit a centre-mounted pull-out larder frame into an existing cupboard that's only 495 deep, but the frames I can find on the web all need 500 or 505 depth. Can anyone suggest supplier's for the centre-mounted type? Alternatively, any suggestions on how to make one and where to get the runners from?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Ah, I forgot to look at Screwfix! I really wanted 400 wide but their's are 300 or 600; are they any good?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

The only thing is that you will end up wasting a lot of space....

Have a look also at Haefele, Woodfit and Isaac Lord

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks for the pointers; it looks like Isaac Lord have what I need. Why do you make the comment about space? The idea was to make things easier to find (compared to deep shelves) by having a large number of baskets. I must admit the thought of having to slide-out the entire larder contents every time seems a bit silly (and it looks like it'll be quite expensive to buy the frame and baskets) but what's the alternative? Two half-height frames will be difficult because of supporting the upper one. Wire drawers - but there's the pain of having to make/fit all the runners (once I've found a supplier of suitable wire or plastic drawers). Any other ideas (apart from loads of deep shelves)?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

I do think that these pull out frames are a good idea - I have several.

The point about space was that if you are going to use them then you want to try to find something that is as close to the size of the cupboard as possible because using the remaining space is difficult to impossible - I was relating this to the Screwfix 300mm unit in a 400mm cupboard.

If you are going to use Isaac Lord, give them a call and ask about their loyalty card. Worth 10-15% discount. If you can go there, prices are negotiable....

Reply to
Andy Hall

Andy Hall wrote: ... snipped

I'm thinking of one that's 1900 tall with about 10 shelves/baskets; do they run sufficiently freely for this to be viable? - it'll be a significant weight.

This will be going into an 800 wide built-in cupboard with double doors and a 700 wide doorway, the idea is to leave the front of the frame open and to have fixed shelves up one side of the cupboard. So the actual width isn't too important.

Very interesting. High Wycombe isn't too far away but far enough to be a special trip - I'll give them a call.

Thanks, Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

If you had a substantial enough one, yes.

However, this height and fully loaded with heavy stuff may be a challenge.

Probably if you mix the load and put heavy stuff at the bottom it would be OK.

If you load it top to bottom with cans of food, that would be optimistic.

Ah, OK. Rather different.

I would try to identify a frame with high load capability. These will be more substantial and will slide more easily under load.

Worth it but definitely call first.

The trade counter is generally populated by knowledgable old buggers who know their stuff quite well from supplying to the furniture industry. It would be worth describing your application, the weights and the sizes and see what they say. It's likely that they can source what you need even if it's not a stock item.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Thanks again Andy but SWMBO is now favouring :-( a large number of chrome wire baskets on slides that we saw last night in Homebase; they called them vegetable baskets. Their price is £75 for 2 so I need to find somewhere with more sensible prices - preferably a mix of wire baskets, trays, or drawers.

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

OK. Yes HB are very expensive for this kind of thing especially.

Smaller things probably would be more practical in terms of weight to pull out.

The suppliers already mentioned should have this type of thing as well.

Reply to
Andy Hall

NoSpam wrote

The advantage that 1 larder unit has over 5 drawer/baskets is that to find something, you open just the one thing. Unless, of course, these Homebase baskets are open at the front? In which case, everything will get dusty.

Plus, when you're putting stuff away (shopping etc) into drawers, you'll be forever opening and closing them. With a larder unit, you can put it all away at once and shuffle things between shelves as required.

Don't get me wrong: drawers have their place. We have 2 sets of (closed- fronted, flat-bottomed) drawer units -- a 3-drawer 600 one by the stove for (1) cooking utensils (2) pans (3) big pans & pots

and, across the other side of the kitchen, a 400 one under the bread board area for (1) cutlery (2) jams, spreads (3) bread and cakes.

Our larder unit is a 6 year-old not-very-expensive one from Ikea. It's

400 wide with 6 baskets and gets loaded up with (from the top) (1) crisps, pasta, sauces (2) 'wet' cooking ingredients (raisins, syrup etc) (3) 'dry' cooking ingredients (flour, sugar, etc) (4) tins (5) more tins, glass jars & cereal bars (6) biscuits, crackers, etc.

At Christmas, the unit is loaded to the gunwales and must weigh a ton: nonetheless, it stills rolls in and out without protesting.

The only disadvantage I can see to larder units is when, on the top shelf, a packet of dried spaghetti splits and distributes itself amongst all the other shelves!

Reply to
Brian L Johnson