Pulic water main failure

Why would the 2" (or so) water main supply to my and my neighbours houses suddenly start to leak? - well enough for it to be obvious on the surface.

The pipe is in the ground under the side of the road (lane), about 2 foot deep. The failure was not near a joint and has been repaired with some sort of sleeve. Possibly put on by lifting one end of the pipe.

I would think that it is a steel pipe.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Cast iron more likely, they rust eventually and are brittle. Any heavy vehicles been down the lane recently or it may simply have succumbed to heave due to frost.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

as have miles and miles of iron gas pipes, just about everywhere I've been over the last couple of months.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Quite possibly. Be prepared to see more leaks as the pipe ages further. Water boards use a variety of repair sleeves, some require the pipe to be cut and the sleeve threaded on, soe are "split" and can be applied around an existing pipe. Commonly a piece of new pipe is put into the run with joints either end. Materials used for water mains have altered over the years but lead, cast iron, asbestos cement, spun concrete, galvanised steel, thick wall copper, and polyethylene are all commonly found.

Reply to
cynic

oh christ not asbestos again..........

Reply to
JimK

And wood of course!

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

It is possible that the pipe was repaired a few yards further on.

Some other pipes in the neighbourhood were replaced with plastic ones.

Of course it makes be wonder about the state of the water supply pipe downstream of the meter and which I own. It is steel and 50+ years old. If it's good enough for another 40 years that will likely be more than enough!

Reply to
Michael Chare

Tread gently when you walk over it! It would be a good idea to every now and then turn off everything indoors and go and check your meter over a decent period of say half an hour to make sure you have no small unknown leaks. You not only pay for water coming in but also for assumed sewerage charges often as much again.

Reply to
cynic

You have gas? In pipes? In the ground? Cor, that's posh.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice