Public Toilets - Press down taps

The taps that you press down which should stay on for a while seem to be the must unreliable item ever invented as they never seem to work properly. I guess that with maintenance they can be adjusted and set to work correctly.

What is required to make the delay action work? (I want to challenge my local pub landlord to fix his)

Reply to
John

Depending on the design, a correctly-sized loop of cord under the spout will often hold the button down. Failing that, a brick (one of the cheap ones with circular holes instead of a frog is a better fit).

(I realise this isn't quite what you wanted :-) )

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

They're known as 'percussion taps'. AFAIK some models have adjustable timing and others don't - so if yours aren't working properly then presumably it's fair to say that they either need adjusting or replacing...

David

Reply to
Lobster

Or perhaps the pub landlord just wants to save on his water bills!

Reply to
Cash

Infra red detector ones are best. They only switch on when a hand or similar is in range.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In message , Bob Minchin wrote

But that implies some electronics - electronics and water don't mix to give a long term reliable solution.

Reply to
Alan

They have them in my local shopping centre loos. I seem to have invisible hands though

"or similar"?

I don't want to think what else people wave under the tap in pub loos

Owain

Reply to
Owain

The ones I came across used 1 D-cell battery, which lasted about 5 years (but not very heavily used - I think they were supposed to last 1 year in heavy use). None of them ever broke AFAIK, and they were probably 10 years old when I left that place. Sorry, no idea what make they were.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I find the taps OK but the hand detectors used in hot-air dryers are something else. It's apparently beyond the wit of man to design a detector that actually works properly.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

Infrared ones will require someone to be instructed to go and change the batteries - but by then people will have got so annoyed at not getting any water that the taps will probably have been thumped and broken. Probably a contractor will have to be given a requisition to change all the batteries this will be beyond the authorisation limit of the person who knows what needs doing. Of course a risk assessment will be needed - and a shop fitter will be needed to open up the panels under the sinks to access the batteries.

Reply to
John

I never use warm air dryers. They just blow the bugs back onto your hands. I just drip dry mine if nothing hygenic is available, they dry quite quickly due to body heat.

Reply to
<me9

I like the ones used in many food and food packaging factories - they have the tap mechanism *under* the sink and it has an arm or plate that you push with your knee and it springs back when released. Can't be left on (unless someone deliberately sabotages them), doesn't cut-off until you're ready and you have some control over the flow rate. It also means that you don't have to touch the tap after you've cleaned your hands to either turn it off or to rinse them (depending on tap type).

Following on from this, why do the doors to toilets open inwards? I don't mean the cubicles, I mean the entrance to the toilet area. You wash and dry your hands and then have to get hold of a handle that other people will have used without washing their hands. If the door opened outwards, you could just push against it with your shoulder. Having the door set in would prevent passers-by being hit as it opened.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

I almost never use them because they are so noisy. Seems to be the perfect tinnitus trigger...

Reply to
Rod

And he pulled the fastest milk cart in the west ...

Reply to
geoff

And I bet you just love those ones that don't use heat at all, but just a high speed airflow! We first encountered one of these at a children's theme park and it was so noisy that the kids were too scared to use it - the thing was uncomfortably loud from *outside* the toilet block.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

*Hee Hee*

It's fairly common on offshore oil installations to have a wash-up area in or near the changing rooms, to wash up before coming into the accomodation module.

The wash-basin is sometimes a large trough thing, operated by a foot treadle.

Lots of fun with new recruits... Clap hands, water comes on. Clap hands again, water goes off. Recruit tries it: nothing. 'Na, you're doing it all wrong. It's like *this*.' Water on. water off. Try again. etc, etc.....

Reply to
Ron Lowe