PTFE tape OK for Aga oil burner?

In order to clear the burner carbon from me oil aga and lacking a 12" long drill, I disconnected the pipe where it actually feeds the burner. assembly.

Its a sort of straight brake pipe type thing and I used a little PTFE tape on it - it probably wont help with leaks as the seal is really made by the soft pipe being rammed up on its flare against the union thingie. It looks like boss red had been used to make it last time..

Anybody know whether it is likely to leak or not?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That sort of seal is not made on the thread - where PFTE tape is normally used. A small fibre washer the same diameter as the flare OD would work or a small piece of natural fibre string formed into a ring and tucked into the female part so that fibres can't go into the burner naturally. If you have some wad punches, then a washer cut from cereal packet cardboard maybe. Quite a few ways to skin that cat once you start thinking about it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The red stuff is called "Stag" jointing compound. Similar to red hermatite.

PTFE tape is primarily a thread lubricant, it has only limited gap filling properties. You may get away with it if you put in plenty.

Reply to
harry

The red stuff is called "Stag" jointing compound. Similar to red hermatite.

PTFE tape is primarily a thread lubricant, it has only limited gap filling properties. You may get away with it if you put in plenty.

Is it still called Stag? I used to use it 40 years ago...

Reply to
Mr Pounder

oh its better than that for water plumbing.

Anyway touch wood its all holding up.

Aga back up to temp and no drips that I can see.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher