Proximity of light switch from bath

I've just completed a rewiring and new bathroom job, and have spotted that although I positioned the bathroom light switch outside on the landing, due to the way the bathroom door opens and the position of the bath, it would be possible for someone (stupid) to stand in the bath and reach out of the room to operate the switch. Bugger.

I presume this is against the regs? Or is it by any chance "OK" by virtue of the fact that the switch is not actually in the same room?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

If not, maybe you could hang the door the other way?

Brian

Reply to
bigbria

On 20 May 2004 15:19:12 -0700, in uk.d-i-y snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Lobster) strung together this:

Reply to
Lurch

As long as they are stupid enough to reach outside and operate the light switch while standing in a bath full of water then that's up to them. :-))

The switch outside the bathroom door is fine. Only if it's inside the bathroom should it be a pullcord operated switch.

Reply to
BigWallop

Here's a silly thing.

Light switches in bathrooms must be pull cord, and 13 amp sockets are a no-no, for obvious reasons.

However, in our kitchens, we can happily have 13 amp sockets for kettles & toasters, and controls for dishwashers and waste disposal units, all within reach of our wet soapy hands as we wash the dishes!

Reply to
Paper2002AD

Condensation on surfaces and high moisture content in the air are not as high a factor in most kitchens though. So this plays an important part in the electrical fixtures you can place in these conditions.

You can have permanently fixed appliances in the bathroom if they are connected to unswitched flex outlet units. The units are then controlled from a double pole switch out with the bathroom area.

In the kitchen you shouldn't have socket outlets within 500mm of either side of the sink or any water spray area, and it is also common to have remote unswitched sockets placed below the worktops and controlled from double pole switches above the worktop area.

If you have sockets anywhere nearer to your kitchen sink you're asking for trouble, not just from being able to touch them but, from the fact that they could be splashed with water and cause the power to trip off to the whole house. You then have to allow them to dry off before you switch on again. Very inconvenient.

Reply to
BigWallop

That seems reasonable to me. The additional danger in bathrooms is that you are likely to have wet feet and no shoes. This doesn't normally apply in a kitchen unless you have a very odd lifestyle. You are also likely to have locked the door, making discovery and rescue more difficult.

With your body mostly dry, with insulated soles on your shoes, but with wet hands, you aren't likely to get more than a tingle touching the live only, but please don't try this at home!

Furthermore, not having sockets isn't a great inconvenience in a bathroom, but would make a kitchen unfit for purpose.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

I don't have a strange lifestyle but I often have wet bare feet as the nearest entrance to the house is through the kitchen from the pool.

I'm forever thinking I mustn't do this or that in the kitchen at these times because the risk is higher.

The way the regs are going, we won't be permitted to have electricity in the house or water in a pool because that makes things safer :-)

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Actually, the regulations are becoming more permissive. It is now permitted to have standard light switches in bathrooms under certain circumstances under the new zone based regime. It is also now recommended to use plastic pipework so as not to require ugly supplementary bonding in the bathroom (except for electrical appliances, etc.).

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Well there goes my rant :-). You shouldn't be bringing truth and reality into a newsgroup. S'not allowed!

Tony

Reply to
Tony

Maybe the intent is to discourage pool ownership? :)

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Why not fit one of those touch control switches with an adequate IP rating to keep you safe.

Reply to
G&M