Protection of live cables from tradesmen

...Or should that be the other way round?

Anyway - just wondering: if you have an unavoidable situation where live cables are protruding from wall/ceiling etc during a renovation project, what is considered the kosher way of making these safe, in a manner that would satisfy Heath and Safety / NICEIC / the Part P police / RSPCA / whoever else?

Currently, where it's been impossible to isolate bits of circuit completely, I've gone for wiring the cables into a connection strip and sheathing the whole lot in loads of insulating tape: I'm perfectly happy with that from the viewpoint of my personal safety, but wondered whether it could be construed as inadequate if I'm getting tradesmen in to work in the same area?

Thanks David

Reply to
Lobster

Well it can normally be avoided. Such cables should be isolated. If it really is unavoidable, I tend to use a plastic junction box. If you're really worried, stick a 230V warning label on the box to scare them!

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 10:21:07 GMT someone who may be Lobster wrote this:-

Why would it be unavoidable?

Such cables should be disconnected before the work starts. Alternatively they will presumably terminate in a metal box in the wall when work is completed, so why not put the metal box in now, terminate the live and neutral at a termial strip, and put a blank faceplate over the box, or even fit the actual outlet. This will work if the works are not of an aggressive sort, where the faceplate might get damaged.

Reply to
David Hansen

Well OK, not *strictly* unavoidable but (eg) it would mean running temporary cables below the floor to complete the existing ringmain which has now been extended/rerouted; plus breaking into the cable to add in one or maybe two junction boxes in order to do this - which will be redundant but still present once the installation is complete, which I consider bad practice and don't like (but if it's considered even worse practice not to do so here, then I'm listening!)

Doesn't really work if your tradesman happens to be applying skim plaster though, unless you don't mind your faceplates being buried! As it is, my insulation tape-covered termional strips are sitting within their metal boxes, so are pretty well protected; just that they haven't got faceplates on.

David

Reply to
Lobster

If you want it to look kosher, then crimp on insulated connectors, the bullet ones designed to connect wires by them entering the connector in the same direction.

Reply to
VisionSet

"Lobster" wrote

As

Exactly what I did - but also added insulating tape over the screw lugs on the back box to stop them getting gunked. Guess if you wanted to go the extra mile you could cut square/rectangular plastic covers to sit just inside the box in front of the lugs.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

But not much use if part of the works include plastering and or papering?

A chocolate block well taped should be safe enough. Most tradesmen aren't fools and would realise it's probably live. New dead cables wouldn't normally be stripped back at this stage.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A taped up connector block is more than adequate, almost everyone[1] in the building industry has a healthy respect for electricity, especially when forewarned and alerted to it's whereabouts.

[1] those that don't are no longer in the building industry, nor any other industry for that matter.
Reply to
Phil L

Stuff Brussels. 230v with reference to anything in the UK ought to be banned.

Reply to
Matt

Each cable should have a 2' x 3' warning sign in yellow/black bearing a skull & crossbones. The sign should include warnings in Cosovan, Albainian, Polish & Serbo Croat as well as the usual Punjabi, Hindi etc.

An area 4' x 4' surrounding each cable should be fenced off floor to ceiling and a security guard should patrol inside 27-7. The guard should wear rubber wellies with 2" thick soles.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Why? It is only a continuation of a process that has been happening since the mid 20th century. In 1945, there were still loads of different systems around and it has taken until now to standardise. Doing the same with Europe (even if it is only a paper exercise) is just the next step.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

But it is just a paper exercise.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Although it is a paper exercise from a supply point of view, it is NOT a paper exercise in terms of electrical appliances. We now have the benefit that any electrical appliance bought in any EU country (except lightbulbs) will work in any other EU country. This benefit probably now extends worldwide (in 200V+ countries), as anyone producing an appliance even for sale elsewhere will probably ensure that it meets EU specs, as to do otherwise will limit their market.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle