Protecting endgrain

Hi,

I've just bought some wooden "trough" planters to go in the garden (not very DIY, but sometimes life is too short) - see

're made of some sort of softwood which has been stained. They have a short leg at each corner, the bottom of which will obviously be in constant contact with the paving. This will presumably be the first bit to eventually rot. So what's the best way to prolong their lives? I was thinking of just putting a few generous coats of clear varnish over the bottom of the legs. Any better ideas?

Cheers!

Martin

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

They're made of some sort of softwood which has been stained. They

OK, two-point plan: some preliminary research suggets candle wax melted into the end grain might be the stuff to use, and it's occurred to me that if I also put a couple of tacks or similar into the bottom of each leg the troughs would stand slightly off the ground and not be so prone to soaking up water (aka the blakey principle). What do the panel think?

Reply to
Martin Pentreath

They're made of some sort of softwood which has been stained. They

Stand the feet in saucers (as deep as possible), and fill with wood preservative; keep topping up until it stops soaking the stuff up. And treat the whole planters with the same preserver too (obviously make sure it's plant-friendly).

David

Reply to
Lobster

A screw in each leg to keep them about 6mm off the ground would help. You can buy an 'end grain preserver' in B&Q - I use it on cut ends when decking.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

> They're made of some sort of softwood which has been stained. They

In theory candle wax should be the perfect waterproofer. Nothing is more hydrophobic, and in warm weather it softens and re-positions itself to accommodate any movement in the wood. I suppose the downside is, like all total seals, that it doesn't allow moisture to get out either.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Soak it in cuprinol for a few days. Just a jam jar lid, with the leg standing in it - you don't want to kill the plants.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

used engine oil is apparently very good for deep soaking

Reply to
Steve Walker