Protecting a freshly built wall from frost/cold

On Saturday I am going to start building a garden wall. I have done quite a bit of searching about this and I gather that i should cover the wall to stop it getting surface frost or snow on it.

Has anybody got any suggestions as to what i should use to cover it?

Does it need something thick with insulating properties to cover it? or will something like clear plastic sheeting/blue tarp do just to keep the frost/snow off the surface?

I dont really have anything suitable lying about and would rather not spend any more money than I have to on temporary covers.

I have plans to replace some of my house's carpets over the next few months. Would i be sensible advancing my plans and ripping out the old carpets to use as coverings over some plastic sheet or tarp (both of which are quite cheap to buy)?

I am increasing the height of a stretch of wall around 60ft long so have quite a big area to deal with! I anticipate working at a new row every 24 hours or so to give it chance to set. I cannot leave the work any longer as I have the time off next week in order to do it!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Tarps or visqueen will be more than adequate

Eh? - you are laying one course of bricks each day?

Why not lay 2 or 3 courses per day? - this way, there'l be less possibility of frost getting into the joints - it's the mortar you need to protect, not the bricks...BTW, you can buy frostproofer to put in your mortar mix, any BM will stock it.

HTH

Reply to
Phil L

great! :) the carpet can stay in for a bit longer then and keep my feet warmer!

I was thinking that would be a good target to aim for. It is quite a long wall and im not a professional brickie! Its always looks more daunting before you start too..

Good point. I will see if i can work faster!

I will have a look for frost protector. Are the DIY shops likely to sell it too? (Easier to pop in to)

The weather forecast doesnt seem to say even frost for next week..

I have also read that i should use more cement in my mix when it is colder. I was anticipating about 4:1 from previous experience. Should i increase it to 3.5 or 3:1 or not?

Reply to
Tom Woods

3:1 is a bit steep for wall mortar. 1:1:6 is strong enough for 2 & 3 storey houses with 9" walls.

NT

Reply to
meow2222