Protect lawn from bonfire

Can anyone think of something I can get to put on the lawn to protect it from the heat and ashes from an incinerator dustbin?

4 sq metres of asbestos carpet would probably be ideal, but no longer politically correct. A sheet of plasterboard would probably protect enough from the heat, but would break up and make a mess due to walking over it. I thought about sacrificing a kitchen fireblanket, but I really can't believe it will stop the heat for several hours.
Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

A metal cold water tank cut down to about 4" depth, sat on 1 house brick at each corner. :-)

Reply to
ben

Under the incinerator a couple of paving slabs supported on bricks should do the trick. Around it, unless you are contemplating a major inferno should not be at risk and the ash ought to do your lawn some good. How many bodies are you disposing of anyway? ;-)

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

4x 60cm paving stones. Did this at our last place, very effective.
Reply to
Grunff

Is this a one-off, or did you mean as a regular thing? If the former, how about just temporarily lifting the turf at the relevant location, and replacing it later?

Otherwise, better than plasterboard would be Aquapanel I would think - maybe two thicknesses?

David

Reply to
Lobster

We (when I was a lad) had some asbestos roof tiles, these were very effective for this application.

Reply to
Rick

Bought 4x 45cm paving stones, as they're easier to lift ;-) Worked like a charm.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel