Pros & Cons Of Vacuum Cleaners

Bob? COOEEE! Bob, where are you? I bet he's still got one :)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Edinburgh? Or did you mention that before?

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have three. And a VAX emulator running VMS and/or 4.xBSD on my phone.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Stirling.

vaxa 6 MB RAM and vaxb 4 MB RAM, IIRC

Ten years later I was supporting Lightspeed terminal emulation to the Wang VS ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

ECCE seems to get everywhere....still.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well, I wasn't trying to suggest that Hooke's Law didn't apply at all, merely that the nature of an extensible tube is that the suction force will try to contract it.

Try this. Extend the hose to the top of the stairs with no tool fitted, and the Dyson running. Obstruct the inlet, and see how much additional force there is.

Remember what I was replying to:

I don't think that spring effect will diminish significantly over time, but if suction has reduced, then the effort to keep the hose extended will correspondingly reduce.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Thanks for all the replies, but they've made me rethink my requirements (I haven't rushed out to buy 'cos I've now got my stuff from storage including the previous knackered Hoover, so I've got a little longer to think about it and, hopefully, get it right - only a little longer though, it really is barely more than "alive enough to have strength to die", as the poet said):

Two cleaners, both quiet and light as possible given the following ...

One heavier duty wet or dry, useful for mopping floors (possible?), cleaning up things like spills or leaks, cleaning inside the car, etc.

One upright, equally good at solid floors and carpets. This one definitely needs to be quiet and light, have a HEPA filter, and preferably should have a dusting brush for cleaning computer equipment such as keyboards.

Doable for, say, £250-£300?

, > As per title, I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts. For > example ... >

Java Jive

I suggest the Earlex;

And a Sebo;

The Medway Handyman

Java Jive

Our Sebo X1 is brilliant, and streets better than the Die-soon we borrowed recently, but it cannot be described as "light".

Reply to
Huge