Property Ladder hurrah!

In article , Mungo Henning writes

They shall forever be known by me as Julian & Sandy . . . .

Reply to
fred

Why not an internal bathroom at the top of the stairs, positioned between the two bedrooms? Could have used that redundant Velux rather more effectively too!

David

Reply to
Lobster

In message , Colin Blackburn writes

So they bought for £50K, spent £15K, and sold for £92K

That looks like a profit of £27K before costs of purchase, sale, and interest, (notional if not actual).

They didnt sell it for £75K, and a valuation for its own sake is often way out, so we will never know what they might have sold it for.

Reply to
Richard Faulkner

Bona Builders :-))

Reply to
No-one

And a delightful arse.

Robinson is an annoying squeaky-voiced harridan.

Totally agree.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Poor old Tony wotisname eh?..

Reply to
tony sayer

6mins into tonight's programme and all I can say is WANKERS

oh, and LOL btw :-)

Reply to
fred

And presumably the taxman will want around £8K of that. It's all gambling. I know people who were standing up when the music stopped in the 80s, and still haven't recovered.

Reply to
stuart noble

Of course but it would have undoubtedly gone for much more than the 50,000 they paid since the other house in the area would've too. For what it's worth the valuations they got after renovation ranged from 85 to 90,000, they sold for 92.

What the presenter was trying to get them to see is that they didn't make the whole profit from the renovation and they *may* have even made a loss on that part. This was not a couple just doing up their own house to sell but a couple attempting to make money through development, if they continue in this way they may never be out of pocket but they're not going to make a living. The bulk of the work was done by friends and a builder working for a special rate meant there costs were much lower than they could have been. They also added the rent they made renting the house out prior to renovation into the sums.

Colin

Reply to
Colin Blackburn

Check!

Hahaha! I thought I was the only one that did that, along with analogue lockswitches that beep and security doors that make noises!

Has anyone here had a 'changing rooms' type experience? I don't believe for a minute that some of those things are really done in 2 days......

You're talking about DIY SOS here aren't you :)

We're not either. It irks me that the results of property ladder style stuff always looks like either a bloody show house that's not summat I'd imagine anyone living in, or an office complex!

-- cheers,

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

"Lobster" wrote "Christian McArdle" wrote | > I thought that idea of having the downstairs bathroom was pure | > inspiration, allowing a separate bathroom and still having a | > dining area and a larger kitchen. | Why not an internal bathroom at the top of the stairs, positioned | between the two bedrooms? Could have used that redundant Velux | rather more effectively too!

ARAICR the stairs ran across the whole width of the house, so would probably have involved some even more tortuous corridor arrangements. There wasn't any space to spare.

Although I think a downstairs bathroom for the second bedroom could be an adverse selling point for a family home (little Johnny wanting a wee in the middle of the night) for an adult house-share the asset of having a second bathroom would outweight the disadvantage of it being downstairs, and buy-to-let was a major target market. I think it would have been about the best to do with an awkward house.

But what twits spend about £3,500 on a kitchen in a 2-up 2-down and don't even fit a draining board.

They did tidy the back yard up nicely though, which is something overlooked by most of the comba^Wcontestants.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

"Colin Blackburn" wrote | What the presenter was trying to get them to see is that they didn't | make the whole profit from the renovation and they *may* have even | made a loss on that part. This was not a couple just doing up their | own house to sell but a couple attempting to make money through | development, if they continue in this way they may never be out | of pocket but they're not going to make a living.

Exactly. They never seem to take into account that they're supposed to be paying themselves a wage out of this. No point in going through all the aggro (even if some of them don't actually work very hard) to end up with a profit less than would be achieved by staying in an easy 9-5 job.

Owain

Reply to
Owain