Property Ladder 23/09/03

Did anyone see last night's Property Ladder about a couple attempting to convert two cottages into one? What a pair of herberts! Sarah Beeny should have given them a good slapping!
What concerned me most was the Building Control surveyor didn't seem to pick up (or do anything about) the open stair in the middle of the living room. The moment I saw the guy's plans, I thought, "that doesn't comply; it's a change of use to a three storey dwelling. The stair should be enclosed and discharge to a final exit". By the end of the programme, not only was it open, but there was no handrail or guarding to it.
--
Hugo Nebula (A life! What would I do with one?)
"You know, I'd rather see this on TV,

Indeed, they bought sight unseen, took a month to get a survey done which showed dry rot, wet rot and woodworm, then started work without contacting Building control at the council. Then they ripped out a perfectly nice kitchen seemingly for the hell of it. To make things worse the guy had seemingly never done a days diy in his life. That they made ?24k on it seems grossly unfair. Though I did wonder how much they would have made from buying them, doing nothing all that time then selling them again.

Yes, I wondered about it. He did make them move, and presumably enlarge it, after it had been installed (he, he) so he should have picked up on it. Mind you there was an earlier one where there was no handrail on the staircase either.
Peter
--
Peter Ashby

They did say on the program that 18k of the profit was simply general house price rises in the area.
Pete

And in last week's Grand Designs Indoors (the one with the gutted terrace and the German roofers) the staircase not only had no handrail, but there was no rail around the opening on the landing either... and not a comment. Fancy hitting that when you're trying to find the loo in the dark.
What's the story?
Hwyl!
M.
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk /

That was outrageously unsafe, it's true. The downstairs loo struck me as insufficiently separated from the kitchen as well---mind, just about everything was insufficiently separated from everything else in that house. I pity the poor sap that buys it next.
--
SAm.

When we were students looking for a house to rent we saw one place where the toilet was located in a short passage that led to one of the bedrooms with sliding doors on either side for 'privacy'. We did not rent that one.
Peter
"Hugo Nebula" wrote | Did anyone see last night's Property Ladder about a couple attempting | to convert two cottages into one? What a pair of herberts! Sarah | Beeny should have given them a good slapping!
Yes, a four bedroom 'family' home with a tiny sitting room (and I hate sitting rooms that open directly off the front door) and hardly any garden to speak of. Not exactly guaranteed to appeal to its market. The other rooms appeared to be some very strange shapes as well. SB went from complaining about it one minute to praising it the next.
Never mind, I think next week's herberts blow a third of their entire budget on one tap ...
| What concerned me most was the Building Control surveyor didn't seem | to pick up (or do anything about) the open stair in the middle of the | living room. The moment I saw the guy's plans, I thought, "that | doesn't comply; it's a change of use to a three storey dwelling. The | stair should be enclosed and discharge to a final exit". By the end | of the programme, not only was it open, but there was no handrail or | guarding to it.
I noticed the no handrail too. It seemed especially odd as AIUI they'd had to rip out the first staircase they put in as that fell foul of BCO; so one would have thought the BCO would have made sure its replacement complied.
Owain
I amazed that anyone that stupid would want the rest of the UK to know,
On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 16:21:18 +0100, "Owain"

I think they probably junk half the series as the people probably do as she advises them which would be too "right on" and dull for tv in their eyes. Better to show the idiots and flukey ones instead.
Anyway no complaining an hour of SB is worth any amount of "herberts". ;-)
I was going to apply coz my profit margin would be pretty good if I ever finish it. :-)
Mark S.

You're not wrong. Her chest is pure art - especially in that white t shirt she wore!

Has she still got that big lump on her lip though? Dunno what that's all about but it rather put me off her in the previous series. You'd think she could afford to get it sorted with what they pay tv presenters. T'is a nice chest though :)
Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk) I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.