Propane vs. LPG

I have a gas-fired pottery kiln. In our previous house, I used to fire it with propane (orange cylinders), as no mains gas available. In our 'new' house we have an LPG tank in the garden for central heating etc. Am I correct in assuming that I can run the kiln using the LPG without changing the jets in the burners? Perhaps I should add that the controls on the kiln include gas pressure, primary and secondary air flow, and that firing is not an exact science, requiring frequent monitoring of temperature rise, flame conditions etc. I don't expect that the kiln will fire exactly as it used to, and just need to know that changing to LPG isn't a complete no-no.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Propane _is_ LPG. OK, so is butane. But the stuff in the big static tanks is just the same as in the orange propane cylinders.

Also LPG firing for a kiln is relatively insensitive to jet size and more sensitive to carburation by adjusting the airflow into the burner. You'll have to tweak it, but it will still work fine on the same jet.

PS - Get a mains-powered CO meter too. I use an LPG fired kiln and if we don't ventilate properly the CO levels can get worryingly high. It's worth monitoring this.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

| I have a gas-fired pottery kiln. In our previous house, I used to fire | it with propane (orange cylinders), as no mains gas available. In our | 'new' house we have an LPG tank in the garden for central heating etc. | Am I correct in assuming that I can run the kiln using the LPG without | changing the jets in the burners? Perhaps I should add that the | controls on the kiln include gas pressure, primary and secondary air | flow, and that firing is not an exact science, requiring frequent | monitoring of temperature rise, flame conditions etc. I don't expect | that the kiln will fire exactly as it used to, and just need to know | that changing to LPG isn't a complete no-no.

The stuff they fill your tank with is propane, even though they call it LPG.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Thank you both. I'll proceed accordingly.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Its worth getting it checked as it shouldn't produce CO in significant quantities.

Reply to
dennis

It's a kiln, not a CH boiler. They always produce CO - sometimes deliberately.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

However you read it CO means incomplete combustion. I do realise that firing certain materials may produce undesirable products of combustion. In this event an interlocked extract system would be the way to deal with the issues

Reply to
John

Yes, we like that. It's what makes the glazes work.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Nope, it's the Hydrogen grabbing the oxygen molecules first that only leaves enough to form CO or soot for the reducing atmosphere. Now if you keep everything hot enough you can produce syngas which is CO + H2 and this is the basis for many synthetic chemicals but with air I think the free ride given to N2 cuts temperatures below an equilibrium that favours syngas.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

The glazes work in an electric kiln where no CO is produced.

Reply to
dennis

Not all of them.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Yes this is the equation for a reducing atmosphere in a kiln but the H2 is too dilute to explode, or so I thought.

My only experience with reducing atmospheres in kilns was with two old guys that worked in a "studio" next to a wood I was working, I was amazed at the colours they could get from a wood fired kiln which was in effect just a loose igloo of bricks.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

They all glaze. Only the colour changes.

You do know that incomplete burning of propane to produce CO also produces the same amount of hydrogen which could blow your place to bits.

Does the fire authority know you carry out such a potentially dangerous operation?

Reply to
dennis

Oh _do_ piss off you Blairite bedwetter

Reply to
Andy Dingley

C3H8 + 4(O2+4N2) ===> CO + 2CO2 + 3H2O + H2 + 16 N2

Reply to
dennis

Its got nothing to do with Blair. Its consideration for others.

Reply to
dennis

Reducing atmosphere and all that jazz. Takes the oxygen out of oxides

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Very unlikely. The hydrogen has a far greater affinity for the oxygen than the carbon.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

So how accurate is the formula dennis@home previously stated?

"C3H8 + 4(O2+4N2) ===> CO + 2CO2 + 3H2O + H2 + 16 N2"

I am no chemist but ISTM that that could equally well be written as:

C3H8 + 4(O2+4N2) ===> 2CO + CO2 + 4H2O + 16 N2

Reply to
Roger

That would be correct if there were an ample supply of oxygen. There isn't so you get the CO and the H2 produced. The CO reduces the oxides in the glaze (changing the colours). The hydrogen is left over AFAICT. This is what may cause an explosion.

Reply to
dennis