Prolong the life of your sink and basin taps - by many many years!

Here's my DIY tip of the year which I discovered today. It is going to save me from ever again doing what I consider one of the worst DIY chores in the book: changing sink taps! thought I'd share it with you. Those of you who already know it can ignore this!

You know those tap reseating tools? Useless aren't they!? Wrong! In my opinion, they are useless for saving taps whose seats are really badly eroded (which they usually are when it gets to the stage where you can't stop a tap from dripping by tightening down by hand. (Unless you fancy standing there all day, twisting the reseating die). However, they are absolutely brilliant as a tool for avoiding that situation in the first place! Simply use the tool to smooth down the seats of your taps oce a year - BEFORE they start dripping! It only takes a few turns of the die to clean up the seat. You'll see it shining in the light like a ring of polished brass when it's done. That way, I anticipate you can make your taps last probably ten times as long.

If you dno't do this, what happens is that you get a tiny leak going past the neoprene tap washer - maybe caused by a little bit of debris.. this tiny little flow of water, starting off perhaps as narrow as a strand of human hair, starts to erode a gully in the seat of the tap. That little gully gets deeper and deeper until you can eventually feel it with your fingernail, just as though soneone has sawn a little slot in accross the circumference of the seat. By the time it gets this bad, it is usually quciker and simpler just to change the taps rather than try to grind down the seat - at least, if you are using one of those hand-reseating tools.... But everyone knows what a horrible contortionist chore that is! So by following my tip, you can avoid that ordeal perhaps forever more.

Just remember to turn the mains water supply off before you start dismantling your taps!

Comments welcome.

Alan A

Reply to
AL

Actually, it's caused by the washer going hard (which happens some time before it actually starts leaking). All you need to do is change the washer before it goes hard. Debris will be washed away next time you turn on the tap (unless the washer was already hard in which case it might get embedded in it).

However, I haven't had any taps with washers in the house for some years now.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

It's less damaging to use de-scaling fluid - unless of course the seat has been damaged by not replacing a worn out washer. And de-scale the threads at the same time. A build up of scale in the threads can prevent a tap - even with a good washer - from shutting off properly.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Fitted plenty of taps, changed plenty of washers but I've never had to re-seat or change a worn out tap in my life - they last forever AFAIK - or until butchered by DIYer with stillsons or footprints. Could this be a soft-water area problem only?

Reply to
jacob

I (the OP) am in a very-hard-water area. I think that is definitely a factor.

AL

Reply to
AL

============= Wickes (and probably others) sell taps and mixers marked 'Trade' and these don't seem to last forever. I've got a pair in the kitchen ready to be replaced which have only been in about eight years.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Me too. Do you have any suggestions for ceramic discs? I'm just about to fit a 3rd set in 10 years

Reply to
Peter Taylor

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember snipped-for-privacy@blackhole7777.net (AL) saying something like:

Same here, and it's a chronic problem in this area.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Be grateful - soft water is bad for your heart!

Reply to
Bob Martin

They don't use that nowadays, they use "newpreen", thereby lies the rub.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Bob Martin saying something like:

Ah well, maybe the limey water will counteract the bacon sarnies and the smoking.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon