Programmable thermostats

Page 2 of 2

Alas no! Was quite optomistic about this.

I'll have to resort to trying this now. No more ideas left :-(
On Thu, 06 Nov 2003 00:46:29 +0000, Flat Eric wrote:

Something is making the Thermostat slightly warmer? Why not try a slightly higher or lower temperature. In fact my general rule for programming heating is: "Programme low and override up whenever as needed."
The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

I chose the Centaur stat particularly because it has got a small hysteresis. I used it for 8 years (it was made by Eberle then) with an ancient boiler and no complaints. The short cycles mean that the boiler never gets chance to get too cold before it starts up again so no long warm up periods. It keeps our house at a nice constant temperature, better than starting to feel chilly before the heating comes on again.
Rgds
Andy R
Flat Eric wrote:

Following on from what Bill says, there may be settings to change this: the Honeywell CM67 has 20 or so 'engineers' settings including sensitivity, cycles per hour and minimum on time. Worth checking the installation (not user) instructions
Free SEDBUK boiler database browser

If it is capable of setting the central heating to 24 hours a day, there is no need to disconnect it. If you still require a timing facility for any hot water system, then you'll need to keep a programmer in the loop anyway. If the programmer can't set heating and water separately, you can keep the old programmer, but connect the central heating on output to live, rather than the "on" output from the programmer.

I like the Sunvic one I bought recently. Looks much nicer than some of the others on the market as it doesn't stick out of the wall by twelve inches. My particular model does have a few drawbacks, though. 1 hour granuality of timing (but unlimited changes) and only two adjustable temperature set points can be used. Neither bother me personally.
Christian.

I personally keep the programmer to do heating from 6am to 11pm, and then use the thermostat to control it between those times. I don't mind the temp dropping during the night - it picks up again quickly in the morning.

I got a Sunvic one from B&Q for 29.99. Has 3 temperature points, 6 temp changes per day, 7 day settings and 10 minute time granularity. Also has a facility to automatically delay the start time if its close to the required temperature. Very pleased with it. I can't remember the model number - though it starts with TLX and has a 6 in it... ;)

Yes, mine was 30 quid from B&Q too. Both have the temperature responsive set back option. However, I decided the better appearance of mine outweighed the better functionality of yours. This will depend on your individual circumstances. I think both look like excellent devices.
Christian.
On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 13:46:43 -0000, David Hearn wrote:

Ditto apart from the times.

It can get rather cool in the bedrooms in the winter with the wind blowing. Down to 11 or 12C but rather an extra thick duvet and unbroken sleep rather than a warmer room but broken sleep because of the clunks and groans from the CH coming on at 0345...

I bought the Danfoss TP75 in the wirefree version for >100 but from other posts it looks like the budget market is catching on, all be it with restricted facilties. The TP75 will do 6 set points/day with 0.5C resolution at 10 min intervals every day for 7 days and each day can be different. It also features "chrono proportional control"(1) and an "anticipator"(2) for the first set point of each day.
(1) Controls the boiler in relation to the calculated demand for heat. If only 50% of the boilers output is required to maintain the room temp the boiler is only fired for 50% of the time.
(2) Fires the boiler a variable amount of time before the first set point of the day to ensure that the setpoint temp is reached by the required time.
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

different times for each day, the set temperatures have to be the same for all days.
--
Tim Mitchell

Not according to my manual. Are you sure ?
--
John
Mail john rather than nospam...

when I got home and looked at it, it's actually a Drayton Digistat.
--
Tim Mitchell

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 11:44:27 +0000 (UTC), "Angela"

Wonderful things. Go for a sophisticated one with an easy programming interface and a graphical display of it switching between "day" and "night" temperatures. Mine was a Landis and Gyr - very easy to set.

No, you should be able to simply leave it set to "always on". It's also useful to retain timing for hot water, if you turn the heating off over the summer.