Prog. Thermostats

I assume that with a progammable thermostat (eg.

or
) it is possible to leave the central heating timer switched on all the time and just to control boiler activity using one of these. Horstmann or Danfoss, any comments as to which is better?

Reply to
Grumps

In article , Grumps writes

We've got 2 honeybum CM67 which is a programmable thermostat and the boiler is controlled by those . Their progged for day/ time/ and temp and the only thing we do with them is change the time twice a year, and change the batteries whenever.

One downstairs on one circuit, and one up stairs on 't other. A separate tank stat controls the water with a timer to stop the bloody thing firing off the boiler in the middle of the night.

Works fine, and we have rad stats on some rads in lesser used rooms....

Reply to
tony sayer

| I assume that with a progammable thermostat (eg. |

or |
) it is | possible to leave the central heating timer switched on all the time and | just to control boiler activity using one of these. Horstmann or Danfoss, | any comments as to which is better?

Especially are they easy to program? I have to program one, not the above, which is an absolute *swine* to program.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

Yes, set CH on the original timer to constant and use the timing function in the programmable stat to do the actual timing. [The original timer can still time the hot water, of course]

The Danfoss is a bit more expensive but allows for 6 on-off events per 24 hours - which is useful. I don't know how many the Horstmann does - it doesn't say.

Both do 5/2 day programmes so that you can do something different at the weekend. If your life/work pattern is more complicated than that, you may be better off with a stat which allows a different programme for each day of the week - such as the Honeywell CM67. The CM67 also has an 'optimum start' option whereby you tell it the time at which you need the house to be up to temperature, and it decides when to turn the heating on. More expensive still, of course, (about 45 quid from RKM Controls) but worth it if you want the extra features.

Set Square

I've got a Horstmann and would agree with that. Perhaps a good idea to stop people fiddling, but I've got to get out the instructions to change the time for BST etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

In message , Set Square writes

How does it work this out? does it 'learn' in someway, or is it som e sort of preset - if it's 5 c then turn on 1 hour before sort of thing?

Reply to
chris French

We have a Grasslin Towerchron QE2 and it's a nightmare to program.

sponix

Reply to
s--p--o--n--i--x

IMHE, Spend the extra money and get the Landis & Gyr programmable. Dead easy to set and a nice little temp graph display of what you've set it to. They are worth having

Reply to
dingbat

| In article , | Dave Fawthrop wrote: | > I have to program one, not the above, which is an absolute *swine* to | > program. | | I've got a Horstmann and would agree with that. Perhaps a good idea to | stop people fiddling, but I've got to get out the instructions to change | the time for BST etc.

I have a copy of the instructions beside the d*mn programmer, so that at least *I* can program it.

A bit of packing tape does *not* stop people fiddling.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

We've had the Horstmann programmer for 3 years.

It's 2 wire, & is battery powered by 2 AAA batteries.

The batteries typically last only a year (longer if you fir Duracells), and to be honest I'd prefer a 3 wire, mains powered programmer, as it's a pain in the butt when this unit stops operating due to flat batteries when you don't have any spares at hand, resulting in no heating !.

As far as functinality goes:

(Very easy to program, without reading the manual.)

You can set 4 independent temperatures values for week days (i.e., Mon to Fri) inclusive.

You can set 4 temperatures values for day 6 (Saturday)

You can set 4 temperatures values for day 6 (Sunday)

And, yes, you can leave your timer switched on all the time using this programmer to control your heating.

I've no idea about the Danfoss programmer though...

Reply to
woodglass

Thanks to all for your replies.

Reply to
Grumps

AIUI, it uses its previous experience to 'remember' the rate of temperature rise when the heating is running - and so works out how long it needs to run for to achieve the desired temperature. It works reasonably well - and errs on the side of starting too soon rather than too late - but still saves energy on milder days by not starting the heating unnecessarily early.

It also goes into a proportional control mode when it gets near to the setpoint - which helps to avoid overshoot - again saving energy.

Reply to
Set Square

That is expected from the likes of you.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The first is truly awful. 2xAAA batts only last 18 months. Hard to program. Does not show target temps. No holiday mode (i.e. total override until further notice but still leaving a low temperature setting against freezing). The last draw back is absolute in my book.

The second I've not tried.

My choice although rather large is #12157

is a little overly complex with the potential for every day different but defaults to each day the same. 3xAA batts last at lest 5 years. Not as complex as the 'set back' and 'external compensating' models though.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 10:06:48 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@email.com (s--p--o--n--i--x) scrawled:

I have a look of bemusement. Peice of cake with your eyes closed.

Reply to
Lurch

temperature

It is referred to as "self-adaptive".