problems removing vinyl floor tiles

Hi,

We're pulling up old vinyl/plastic floor tiles to make way for a new floor.

The existing tiles are in 3 rooms, all with concrete floors. One room they were on top of a lino sheet, so that was easy. The bathroom tiles had to be chipped off and have left stuff on the concrete. Dark brown (in places sticky) stuff, presumably a tar-based adhesive? Any ideas on how to get rid of these big patches?

The final room is the worst - we've not yet removed the tiles, because there's something underneath them, which is stuck hard to the concrete. Whatever it is it seems crumbly/fibrous when chipped at.

Not sure what it is - maybe a layer of levelling compound ?, or it may be some kind damp membrane ? - or it maybe be some kind of underlay/floor - in which case I'm a bit worried it might be asbestos (area in question built in 1982). Its about 2mm thick, greyish/brownish, with the dark adhesive on top.

I've uploaded pictures of them, if its any help !

pic1 - the adhesive stuff:

- the thick stuff:
advice / info much appreciated.

thanks