Problems connecting washing machine to mains

So I got my new washing machine delivered yesterday, figured there wouldn't be a problem installing it, since I'd done it before.

However there was a problem, basically when I turned on the mains water went everywhere! The hose didn't seem to fit the outlet tap properly. In my old hose the inside part of the hose was slightly smaller than the diameter of the outlet on the tap and so it fitted inside it and then you screwed the outside of it down to make a seal. However the hose I was supplied with appears to have the both the same size so they just fit flush with each other, with no overlap, you can screw the outside down just the same, but unsuprisingly the water gets out rather readily.

I solved the problem by simply using the hose which was previously connected to the old machine and everything is fine. However I'd like to know why this problem occured, because as from previous posts I'd like to plumb both machines in at the same time, and I can't do that if the hoses don't fit :-(

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Maybe the rubber washer was missing on the new pipe, however as you've got it working with the old fittings - I wouldn't worry too much

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

The way I have it at the moment is only temporary. I intend to reconnect the old machine via a Y-piece to the same tap, however when I tried this then predicably water went everywhere as there wasn't a proper seal.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

I remember having similar problems with the new tube on my dishwasher, as the inline filter caused similar problems as yours - you are probably best getting down to wickes / B&Q etc and buying a few new hoses, they are only around a fiver for a pack of 2, you may also need a male to male adapter to work with the y piece - depending on your configuration, I normally take the bits with me, and work out what new bits I need once in the shop!

Best Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

I assume that you *are* using a proper plumbed-in washing machine tap - and not some adaptor which fits on a normal sink tap?

In that case, it sounds as if either the rubber washer is missing, or isn't thick enough. You can sometimes get a situation where the annular threaded part doesn't screw far enough onto the tap to compress the washer. In this case, you need to fit an additional rubber washer - maybe by taking the one out of the old hose.

Reply to
Set Square

Yes, of course. It's a brass fitting which emerges from the floor. There is another one for hot water which is no longer used.

Thanks. I might just buy a couple of new hoses and see how that works out. Another problem is that it was also leaking from the Y-piece connection,

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&q=y+piece&n=&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=0&y=0

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

tightened it enough. If the washer is suitably compress the joint shouldn't leak.

Mr F.

Reply to
Mr Fizzion

?_dyncharset=UTF-8&q=y+piece&n=&pn=1&pd=1&pi=1&cn=1&cd=1&x=0&y=0Which bit of the Y-piece - where it screws onto the tap, or where one of the hoses screws onto the Y-piece?

Either way, you need to make sure that you have fat enough washers to be compressed enough to make a seal when the nuts are fully tightened. You can get a bit more torque on the nut by using a rag between it and your fingers. Don't use tools on plastic nuts though - you'll break the nuts.

Reply to
Set Square

In the half a second I had looking at it before I had to run back to the tap to shut the water off, it appeared to be leaking out of all three joins.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

20mm open grommets - the type you use in socket backing boxes - make good substitutes for rubber washers in this application if you can't get a seal.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

As you are using main pressure, they need to be bloody tight! - although not recommended I've had to use mole grips in the past to get them tight enough!

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

Doing them up too tight destroys the washer though, the sealing part of the fitting is quite thin so it just cuts into the edge. Even more of a problem on those plastic Y-adapters I've found. Better to use thicker washers than do it up too tight.

Lee

Reply to
Lee